Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica Super TL2 winding lever cover Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Praktica Super TL2 winding lever cover « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blurryjoe
Tinkerer
Username: Blurryjoe

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everybody,

I've got a problem and I hope you can help me solve it.

I've recently started to take an interest in classic cameras. It started when friend of mine lend me his Minolta XD7 (I've been photographing digitally for quite a while now, and I was wondering if it makes a difference shooting analog.) I loved the experience, and since that moment I've been on the look-out for my own analog camera.

Well, I've found one a couple of days ago. It's a Praktica Super TL2 and since it wasn't working, I got it for 1 euro at a second hand store. The winding lever won't wind and the shutter is stuck, but the rest of it works and looks fine. I've started to disassemble the camera to see if I can fix it, but at the moment I'm stranded.

The problem is this: I'm trying to open the top cover and I'm almost there. The last thing I need to do is remove the winding lever, but the cover plate on the winding lever is stuck and I can't move it. I've tried everything I can think of, but it just won't budge. So I'd like to know if anyone here can help me lift this thing, since it's the only thing still standing in my way to get to the inner workings of this camera.

Bram

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you got a rubber anti-slip/friction pad? You know, the things for opening jars? Or something else with a soft rubber surface like a big eraser.
Try pushing that on the cover and twist it open.

The problem sounds likely to be that the shutter is cocked but hasn't actually fired after pressing the release. Something that I've seen happen with cameras that have sat on the shelf for a while.
You might give the mirror and shutter a gentle prod. Maybe a few drops of naphtha too (don't drown it though!).

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 58

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you removed the base of the camera? I don't know this particular model but its usually easy, just two or three screws. Much of the "works" is then accessible and its sometimes possible to see the problem or free something up by gently moving levers, wheels etc and applying a little lubricant.

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 52

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can find a guide for the Praktica MTL-3 in the articles section. Should work for the Super TL2 as well.

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 68

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a couple of ways people use to lift the wind lever cover. Tomosy uses a thin needle and pries it open. You have to do it carefully and very patiently. Steve shepherd uses a flat top screw upside down and sticks it with glue on to the cover. Lets it dry and lifts up. Then he washes the glue off in acetone or petrol and the cover can be put back. Hope this helps.

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 69

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. Archives-2009: Cockinglever
• Hi, Moris again. link article ... assembling faulty Praktica's. Sorry
• Moris, Hi! Across channel ... camera shops repair Prakticas, find difficult ,
• years ago. find Praktica's sturdy . ... link disassembling praktica L, print study
• Hi Moris! Please look Steve ... instructions praktica L-series. <http
• , 've able fix Praktica's. LT1000Super ... disassemble Praktica alble take MTL3
Matching Posts: 11, Relative Score 100%
Try this; it is detailed. sp.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration