Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

First Repair - Rolleiflex standard wi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » First Repair - Rolleiflex standard with stiff focusing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Foilboy
Tinkerer
Username: Foilboy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to everyone.
The focusing knob on my Rolleiflex new standard is getting hard to turn. Except for this problem the camera works like a dream, despite never being serviced. The camera has never been dropped so I presume it needs a clean and new grease.

This will be my first repair on the Rollei, I have no drawings or instructions and I wondered if anyone can give me some general guidance. Please!

Any help would be very welcome.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 59

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would consider getting it professionally serviced. I've got one of these new standard which had very stiff aperture and shutter speed controls and I got it fixed by a local repairer. They are not numerous cameras, having only been in production for a relatively short period.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 244

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

support John on this one.
This issue needs a complete strip-down of the camera, and considering this camera's value I would not touch it as a first repair. Second neither ;)

Marek

Foilboy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately finances don't stretch to a professional service.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 116

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As written before, this seems no camera to tackle without a thorough camera service knowledge and the appropriate tools. I also would advise you to send it to a professional. It's so easy to make a mistake and ruin such a fine collectable TLR. Better wait till you have the finances or sell it to somebody who can take care of it.

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 246

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately finances don't stretch to a professional service."

So you'd rather ruin a camera that's worth several professional services in a - I might say in advance - void attempt to fix it?
I'm sorry, but it violates both: the rule of antiques preservation and the rule of common sense. It's throwing money out of the window and doing irreversible damage in one package.

I refused to TAKE PICTURES with one Rolleiflex of the limited pre-war 1937 series of about 1000 produced (that had everything original including the leather strap), leave alone service one... Yours isn't in that collectible state, but still worth more than being a junkbox to learn on.

Marek

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 157

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Hans amd Marek, as if you do manage to get the Rollei opened up, where are you going to get parts to fix it? That is, if you could identify what parts need replacement, knew the part numbers, and had a source from which to buy them. Then you would also need the special tools that are used to repair and adjust these cameras.

It's just not something to be done by someone who has never repaired a camera before, or by using tools that you get out of a hardware store.

If you want to learn how to fix cameras, do a lot of research, invest in some high-grade tools, and start on something easier, like a Zorki. If you bugger it up, you're not out a large investment in a collectable camera, and there are many more out there if you want to try again.

I can understand you wanting to repair your Standard from an economic standpoint, as that is how I got around to fixing some of my own gear. But I had over thirty-five years of experience in repairing before I started, and I'm still learning, along with identifying what my limitations are. Hans and Marek are two of the best helpers I've had on this forum, and you would be wise to heed their advice.

PF

Foilboy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again, thanks for the comments.

This is my first repair of a Rolleiflex new standard, not my first camera repair! I've tinkered with a few cameras over 35 years.

I think the focusing mechanism requires a clean and lube. If anyone has done this I'd be interested to hear of any hints and tips.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 161

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I guess your thread title threw us off there, starting with "First Repair...". But like Marek said, with only 1000 produced, there is not going to be a lot of open knowledge out there on this particular model, and it would behoove you to send it off for repair. Besides, anyone who does work on them is not going to give his information away. Kind of like opening up a fruit and vegetable store, then spending all your time telling everyone how to grow their own.

I did what I could on a Yashica YF to get it operational again so I could determine what it's faults were, but will be sending it to an expert repairman for a complete overhaul.

PF

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 247

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Foilboy: I stand where I stood before.
I think I can easily say that I have more experience in TLR service than you and I know what I'm saying: whether this is your first Rolleiflex or first camera - it does not matter. It is your first Rolleiflex and these weren't made in the times of CNC and freely interchangeable parts. Even just take apart and rebuild isn't trivial, even if you have the extended service manual and somebody's advice. Trust me on this one.

And, at this point, you really have to ask yourself this question: is it better to service it (which most likely will mean damaging the leathering, depending on its state), or keep it original for its collectible value.

Yes, the camera most likely needs clean and relube. The bigges thing is, that the whole camera is built around the focusing system and the focusing system has plenty of adjustment points. Once apart it's readjusting EVERYTHING and, in case of Rollei, they did it mostly with shims and spacers. So if you have to reassemble it, without proper measuring jig you are out of luck. You can make sure you collect all the spacers, but that's tricky: they are behind the lens plate and "blind" - you don't get to them until you rise the lensplate and then it's too late.

I don't repair cameras for money, I'm not trying to make a buck here. I just KNOW that this is a service full of pitfalls, I just named one, there are others.

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration