Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning rear lense yashica-12 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Cleaning rear lense yashica-12 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Burning_k
Tinkerer
Username: Burning_k

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently got a Yashica 12 and noticed that there is eiterh grease or fungus on the lense.

Found a Mat tutorial on how to clean them, but the problem is: neither does the rear lense have notches to unscrew it nor can u clean it with shutter at B from the front because there is a glass between the front lense and the shutter.

Does anyone know how to solve that problem?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1145

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is not a glass between the front of the rear lens cell and the shutter. The rear cell is composed of 2 lens elements, which are cemented together. If the grunge you're seeing is neither on the rear surface nor the front surface of the group, then it has to be in the cemented interface between the 2 elements. Which, I'm afraid, pretty much means you're screwed.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 163

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, I think he is asking about the elements in front of the shutter. If it's a four element lens, I don't think he can see how to get the second element out. I'm not much help on this either, because I've never torn down a Yashica TLR. IIRC, the Yashicor is a three element lens, and the Yashinon is a four element (Tessar) type. Depends on what he got with the camera.

So, Burning k, how about some more info, such as which lens does it have?

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 165

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Burning k, I did a search, and found that all the Yashica 12's reportedly had the Yashinon lens. So we are talking four element Tessar. And after looking at Rick's diagrams of a front teardown on a 124G (very similar), it appears that the front two elements are cemented together also, or at least mounted in a barrel together. I still haven't found a design drawing for this lens, so maybe someone else has more info for you.

Maybe you could post a picture or two of what you are looking at.

PF

Burning_k
Tinkerer
Username: Burning_k

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has a Yashinon 1:3,5 f 80mm lense.

I think you're all right with the idea that it's a 4 element lense.

I took some photos and hope that you can figure out what to do now.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4876/img1143copy.jpg

unscrewed front element and lense (the guy who owned it before me must have handled it a little rough)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6721/img11451copy.jpg

Camera with unsrewed front element (that's the glass that keeps me from cleaning it in B)

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2896/img1150copyz.jpg

The root of all evil. (i hope you can see the grease)

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 122

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What has happened is that you have removed the front element from the front lens cell. The front cell is composed of two air spaced elements. At this point, I would use a rubber stopper, app. 28mm in diameter, to remove the part that is still screwed into the front of the shutter.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 60

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes you have just removed the front element and retaining ring, you need to get the rest of the front cell assembly out, it usually comes out in one piece. It looks very similar to my Yashicamat - 124. I had a similar issue with grease on the rear element, it must come from the shutter somehow, but a word of warning - the grease on mine had hardened and I couldn't adequately clean it off through the front. I still had to remove the rear element to clean it properly. It surprising that yours has no slots to unscrew it, perhaps some sort of friction device as described by Brcamera would help. As a last resort you might consider drilling two small holes either side in the retaining ring but it would he hard to do this without the drill slipping and causing damage.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 61

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes you have just removed the front element and retaining ring, you need to get the rest of the front cell assembly out, it usually comes out in one piece. It looks very similar to my Yashicamat - 124. I had a similar issue with grease on the rear element, it must come from the shutter somehow, but a word of warning - the grease on mine had hardened and I couldn't adequately clean it off through the front. I still had to remove the rear element to clean it properly. It surprising that yours has no slots to unscrew it, perhaps some sort of friction device as described by Brcamera would help. As a last resort you might consider drilling two small holes either side in the retaining ring but it would he hard to do this without the drill slipping and causing damage.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration