Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help on repairing Rolleiflex 2,8 Biom... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Help on repairing Rolleiflex 2,8 Biometar Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nasdaki
Tinkerer
Username: Nasdaki

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
here's my first post on this great forum :-)

i own a rolleiflex 2,8B with Biometar lens - a quite collectible TLR - with a wrong shutter.
The shutter seems to work fine from 1/500 to 1/50 but on slow speeds, the shutter stays open and has to be manoeuvred to close.
I managed to completely dissamble the shutter ; soak it in lighter fluid for 10 minutes ; it seems clean now, but the problem is still the same : the blades stay open when the shutter is fired on speeds below 1/50.
I noticed that it's hard to open or close the shutter blades : maybe i have to clean them individualy (it meens dismantling the aperture mecanism, i'm a bit scared to do it).

Another thing : the synchro-compur seems curious, i can't find it online, it seems it's not the same that's used on other rolleiflexes (see picture included). So i cannot figure out how it works...
I removed the slow speed mecanism (on the left side of the picture), it works ok, but now i don't really now how i should put it back (it can be tuned with the 3 screws).

Well, as you see, any help would be really helpfull....

here is the picture :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/img20111020230447.jpg/

Thanks,
pierre

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 123

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if you have gone this far, why not service the shutter properly? I never put a complete shutter in cleaner as 1.) you may not get all the oil removed from the blades and 2.) all the lubricant has been removed from parts that need it! You mentioned that the shutter blades don't open easily-they need to operate smoothly before you can really proceed to check shutter speeds. I would remove the mechanism plate, remove and clean all the shutter and diaphragm blades carefully. During re-assembly, the cocking ring and cocking gear shaft will need to be lightly lubricated since the soaking has removed all the lube from these parts. For a camera of this quality, I think this service is certainly worth your time. I don't know your experience level with shutter mechanisms so get some online manuals and proceed carefully. I think the shutter used in this model is the standard Synchro Compur MX, at least that has been my experience.
Bill

Nasdaki
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your answer,
is there a way to remove the shutter blade and let the aperture blades in place ?
I don't now of it is a standard synchro compur MX, but mine (see photo of first post) differs from the photo i can find online (this one for example http://35mm-compact.com/album/albums/userpics/10687/normal_compur.jpg )

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 124

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pierre,
When you remove the mechanism plate to access the shutter blades, the diaphragm blades will stay in place because they have their own retaining cover. But I would check them at that point to make sure they are totally free of oil
Bill

Nasdaki
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 04:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bill,
after one entire night spent in lighter fluid without further dissambling, the blades now run completely free.

But i have 2 other problems :

1- when the flash synch is set in "X" mode, when i push the trigger, i hear a slight "bzz" and nothing happens. i have to cock the shutter again again and while I rewind the cranck, the shutter opens

2-sometimes (on M flahs mode) when i cock the shutter it does'nt stay "loaded" and the shutter fires immediatly - the coking ring follows the coking cam (excuse my english... i hope i'm clear). It does not happen all the time

Any help?
thanks, pierre

Nasdaki
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put a slight amount of oil in the flash delay mecanism and 1) is not an issue anymore. But i Still often get 2) : there seems to bo a problem with the flash delay gears...

I Looked closely at what happens when i cock the shutter :
the delay gears seems to "load" fine but then it makes a little "bzzz", the little arm that should block the cocking ring in the "loaded" position moves, going in the wrong way and doesn't block the shutter.

Can one gear be broken so it "slips away" sometime ? or is it dirt again ? I cannot reach thoose gears without tearing it all appart, whih i really don't want to...

Nasdaki
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the little piece that doesn't do the job :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/shuttere.jpg/

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 54

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you operate the shutter as is shown in the picture, that is without shutter speed cam an retaining ring?
In that case, the cocking ring can move back and forth and might just slip by the arm that is supposed to lock it.

Dirk

Nasdaki
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for testing purpose yes, but unfortunately it has the same problem with the speed cam and retaining ring

Nasdaki
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

some slight lubrification made it :-) now works like a charm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration