Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter seems to be working, but no e... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Shutter seems to be working, but no exposure on negative « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Langston
Tinkerer
Username: Langston

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old Minolta xg-m. Brought it out of the closet after being stagnant for about 10 years, went through one roll of film no problem. It worked perfectly. I put new roll in and apparently a gear had been striped in the advancing mechanism, I took it into the camera shop and the good ole boy had it fixed in a couple of days. Now I've been through 3 rolls of film and I have yet to have an exposure on the film. I've open the back of the camera and I "took a picture" to make sure the shutter was working properly. I can see light through the back of the camera through the lens. I am still learning obviously, but any ideas.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Langston

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with that camera but from photos it looks like a standard SLR similar to the one I use, in which case if you open the back, push the shutter button, and thumb the advance lever, you should see the take-up spool on the right side turning. If you put a *little* finger pressure on the spool while it's turning, it should fight you rather than just slip. And, the rewind knob on the left should turn along with the film advance if it's tight.

Dgmaley
Tinkerer
Username: Dgmaley

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Langston;
Batteries??? Does it have a fresh set of batteries? And clean the battery contacts. Old batteries are time bombs. Do you have a roll of film you can keep as a test roll? You will be running this roll through cameras with the back door open. It's by far the easiest way to see if the film transport is working. Cycle the camera in manual and automatic and with more than one lens.
Dave

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 108

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Either the film is not advancing, or you have the lens cap on...

Langston
Tinkerer
Username: Langston

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Jeffk; Once I place some pressure on the take up spool and the sprock both it never slipped. The rewind crank turns when I advance the film.
Dgmaley; I placed a fresh set of batteries once I brought it out. Luckily who had the camera before me was smart enough to remove the batteries so there's no corrosion on the contacts. I've went through a roll with the back of the camera open and the film is advancing. I've used 2 different lenses both apertures adjust fully. I've used all shutter speeds. I've even removed the lenses and changed the shutter speed to manual and held it open. I could see the film clear as day...I'm so confused by this.

I know film can expire, the expiration on the boxes are 05/2013 so I don't think that's it. I've used 400 color and 100 b&w speeds. I don't know how the film was stored before I bought it, since I've had it, it has remained in a controlled temp. Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 124

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you could actually see the film through te opened shutter but it seems to be not exposed after development then clearly something is wrong with either the film (maybe it has no light sensitive layer) or something goes terribly wrong with the development.

Are the developed films completly black or completly transparant ?

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 252

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another idea: if you use the automatic mode and it 'thinks' your film is much more sensitive than it is (say, it 'thinks' it's ISO3200 and you have ISO100 in there), then the result might be like what you described.

Give it a simple test: set ISO100 on the camera, put f:16 on the lens and shoot with back open out of your window on a clear sky sunny day. The shutter should open and close, at least half of the frame should be open before the shutter starts closing again. If you see but a slit running past your eyes, then the exposure meter is off due to some reason...

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration