Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Substitute prism for Minolta XE-7? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Substitute prism for Minolta XE-7? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Azohos
Tinkerer
Username: Azohos

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just found a perfectly working XE-7 (finally!), but the prism is desilvering. Finding a junker to swap it out with seems like it's going to be a needle in a haystack sort of thing. can I swap it with one from an XE-5, or ideally another more easily obtainable minolta?

Thanks,
Andy

(and no, please don't say Leica R3) :P

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 266

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy,
I would like to say a Minolta SRT 102/202/303/Super model pentaprism would work (the other SRT prisms definitely wouldn't work since they don't have a viewer for the aperture setting, and neither does the XE-5), but I'm not so sure. The parts page in my XE-7 repair manual makes it look almost like, but not exactly identical to the SRT 303b prism I have in hand. You are welcome to the 303b prism if you want to try it, but I offer no guarantees. My XE-7 pentaprism is desilvering as well (though rather slowly), so it seems a problem in that particular model. My SRT prisms don't have the problem.

If it's perfectly working and the desilvering isn't bad, I'd leave it alone until it seriously interfered with viewing the image. My XE-7 works perfectly and is only showing desilvering along the very bottom of the image so I'm leaving it until it gets worse.

Azohos
Tinkerer
Username: Azohos

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the offer, but I went out shooting with it yesterday, and it doesn't seem to bother me once I get going. Same thing though, maybe the bottom fifth of the vf. I suppose I'll just wait as well.

It seems like a common problem though. Do you (or anyone) know if this was an issue for the whole production run, or just a hit or miss thing with xe-7s?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 268

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really couldn't say, except we aren't the only ones who have had complaints of desilvering. It may be an issue unique to the XE-7 as I haven't seen complaints of the XE-5. Could be production problem or a foam issue as happens to some Olympus and Canon FD prisms. Yours does seem somewhat worse than mine, btw.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration