Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica fx-1 problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica fx-1 problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joshuajackson_
Tinkerer
Username: Joshuajackson_

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a yashica fx-1 from a second hand shop, and it was working fine. However, once I got it home, the shutter button will not press down, and also the mirror is stuck in an upright position.
I've looked around, and I think the shutter button is stuck because of a self timer problem. This can be resolved by taking it out. As for the mirror problem, I have no idea what could be wrong - it will go to it's downward position, but it springs back up when you let go.
So, I have some questions. How would I get to the self timer, and how would I remove it? Does anyone know what would be wrong with the mirror, and how can I resolve it?
Thanks

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 36

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a common model. I think I have worked on maybe two or three.

The symptom, however, sounds like a typical problem in older cameras with cloth focal plane shutters. My guess would be that the second shutter curtain is not closing with enough force to release the mirror and the wind-lock. Try removing the lens, opening the back, and gently trying to move the curtain towards the rewind side of the camera. If that releases things, the camera needs a cleaning and new lubrication.

Upnorthw
Tinkerer
Username: Upnorthw

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the battery good? The shutter needs a battery to function.

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 23

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Upnorthw. I thought the FX-1 was mechanical. The FR series were electronic.

Ronnie

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FX-1 has electronic timing control. Without battery the shutter will operate at 1/1000s.

Joshua, have you noticed that the colar around the shutter button can be turned to lock the shutter button?

Dirk

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doh! My apologies.

Ronnie

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration