Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kowa 150 lens not opening Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kowa 150 lens not opening « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Emax303
Tinkerer
Username: Emax303

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
just new to this forum... I recently aquired a Kowa 6MM which came with 2 lenses, a 85 mm and a 150 mm.
They seemed to be working just fine but as soon as I went back home the 150 was totally closed! The shutter blades wouldn't open and the two pin do not lign up to the red dots and do not click into place. I took it to a camera repair shop, they said that there's grease on the blades and it would take them a few hours at 120 AUS $ an hour to try to fix it. Since I paid $50 for the lens I really didn't bother!
I also read on various forums that the lens is very good for portraits.
My question is: has anybody had any experience with that type of lens? Would it be worthy for me to have it fixed? I was also thinking about cracking it open myself and try to bring it back to life. I'd be very grateful if anybody could give me any hints or suggestions how to go on about it.
Thank you kindly
Max

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I have cleaned the blades on the 150mm. Mine too was completely caked with grease. Check out this webpage (http://www.photographic.co.nz/cameraworks/cameras/kowa6_55_150/150.htm) for details on how to disassemble. It is similar to the 55mm in its construction. Repeated wiping of the blades with lighter fluid will be needed to remove the grease. Remember, the lens needs to be on the camera to really test the function, since the spring in the body assists in the opening and closing of the blades.

Emax303
Tinkerer
Username: Emax303

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there, thanks for the reply! I've already bookmarked your page, it seems to be the only useful information I could find on the web. Also, would you know where I can find any literature on any of those lenses? I'm happy to pay...
Thanks again and have a good day.
P.S. Congrats to the All Blacks for smashing the French!:-)
Regards
Max

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 113

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've only found sparce information on the Kowa cameras and lenses. The best bet is to keep Googling!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration