Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex T Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex T « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Timdenning
Tinkerer
Username: Timdenning

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just returning to roll film after a long absence and bought a reasonable priced Rollei TLR T model. The first roll of film came back from the processors with some serious creases across the first 4 negatives and a series of indented 'crinkles' on one edge just slightly out of step with the frame intervals. Processors happy to replace the film and do a free trial reprocess to see if the problem is in the camera - www.TheWholePictureOnline.co.uk - very helpful.

I suspect the 'indentations' are from a serrated wheel that presses against one edge of the takeup spool? They correspond with the likely location of the film between exposures... This wheel is on a shaft fixed at one that rotates freely and can be smoothly pressed away from the roll but needs strong pressure to move it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 19

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you post a photo of what you see back there?

Timdenning
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your interest Jeffk - I've attached a photo of the serrated roller that presses very firmly against the backing paper on the take up spool. It is at an angle when the spool is removed because it pivots at the end furthest from the serrated wheel and springs up when the spool is removed. The second image shows the crinkles on the edge of each negative frame. I think the creases across the frame are caused by the processor but this is being checked..

Regards

Tim

Photo 1
Photo 2

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 127

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That you have to put a lot of pressure on that serrated wheel is not normal. Just tried it out on my T and i can turn it smoothly.

That wheel drives the filmcounter and automated filmtransport stop.

That the teeth give some marks on the films backing paper is normal but they shouldn't be too deep.

You can see a test i did here :

Testing the Metering Wheel

Probably your T's transport mechanism needs a good clean by a serviceman.

Timdenning
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Hanskerensky - just the info I needed and a special thanks for the links to your splendid photo set dealing with the Rolleiflex T. The wheel turns easily - it was the pressure on the backing paper that concerned me but looking at the marks in your photo the pressure on my spool is probably similar.

Thanks again to everyone

Tim

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 959

Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is processing damage clear and simple! For the counter/stop drive wheel to do this amount of damage to the actual negative strip, the backing paper would have been ripped to shreds in the camera. However this is highly unlikely because the fixed end of the negative strip is the first end to enter the take up spool - thus the creasing seen cannot be caused in the camera.

Sadly the signs of poorly maintained processing machines is on the increase, especially in medium format equipment. A flashy web site is no guarantee of good results.

Timdenning
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the comments and advice. I've put another roll (free from the processor) through the camera and sent it for processing.... I'll let you know how it goes!

Tim

Timdenning
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried two more rolls of film and nor further crinkles or creases.... Looks as if the problem was with the processor - they very helpfully provide a free film, processing and scanning. Thanks to everybody for your help..

Tim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration