Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon motor drive MA repair hints Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon motor drive MA repair hints « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Just thought I'd try reposting this as it didn't come up first time...)
I've just made a repair to my Canon motor drive MA which might be of interest. One of the battery positive contact springs was broken and the round plastic contact was loose in the casing - the drive worked once the contact had been loosely replaced but it wasn't very good having a loose bit flying around. I could see it was impossible to repair a smapped spring, but I could see that if the spring was put back together so the coils were touching and lightly soldered it would at least hold it in place. The plate holding the springs has to be taken out, this involved removing the battery clip end cover, which is tricky as it's not meant to come off. I used an old penknife to lever it away from the two pins on either side. Ouch. Once this is off there is a bit of gummy tape there for some reason, this needs peeling back to get at the tiny tabs holding the spring plates in. These will break off
. Having removed the plate, I used a helping hands clamp affair to hold the parts in the right position for soldering and used a soldering gun and ordinary wire solder and flux to fix them. It's tricky. At first I got a blob of solder on it and it couldn't compress enough - these springs are squashed right down by the batteries - so I had to desolder and try again, using just enough solder to "stick" the coils together. It works! The spring plate tabs obviously snapped off - not meant to be dismantled - so I used some thin double sided tape to relocate the plate. The battery clip end plate has to be prised back into place carefully. The only other thing is there's a bit of thin foam inside the battery pack case to buffer the end of the battery clip - this was rotted on mine so I used various long implements to remove it and replaced it with some thin self adhesive felt. Anyway hope this is some interest.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration