Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 35 GSN trouble-shooting Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica 35 GSN trouble-shooting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right,

Picked up this beautiful Yashica Electro 35 GSN at a flea market a month ago.

I replaced the sticky light seals with a fresh set from Victor Hälke (Kamera Doktor) last Friday.

Fashioned a battery adapter with some Medium Density Foamboard and a paperclip.
I wrapped some foam around a 4SR44 and inserted it in the camera with adapter. Battery check lights up fine...

but...

My camera sounds like a freakin' geigercounter when I activate the meter. o_O

The Panasonic 4SR44 battery is 6.2v. Is this going to be a problem? The leds seem rather bright (Though I have no lower voltage reference).

The shutter blades also appears to not want to close on a long exposure times. Working just like the 'B' setting. Speeds under a second appear to be okay.

So, is my camera suffering from the "Pad of Death"?

Replacement material for the pad? hard rubber or foam rubber?

All advice and comments appreciated as usual. Thanks.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 115

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the POD. It can cause multiple issues. The shuter blades may need to be cleaned, causing them to stick.
On long exposures, the camera will make some strange noises. That is normal as far as I know.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll see about removing the top cover this evening and checking the pad.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 170

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an MG-1 that sounded like someone was welding on the inside whenever I pushed the shutter button. Seemed that dirty contacts were causing this, as I activated the shutter about fifty times in quick succession, and the noise went away. Everything works fine on it.

PF

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dang, the pad appears to be in good condition.
Shutter blades appear to be clean.

Shutter doesn't close at f/16 and the ASA set above 25.

Meter doesn't appear to register over-exposure.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 116

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shutter blades may appear clean, but appearances can be deceiving. Try applying a few drops of lighter fluid to loosen them up.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After a few more shutter-exercises it looks like when I fire the shutter aiming at a dark area with the aperture set at f/16 the shutter only closes when I turn the camera towards a light source.

I'll see about opening up the shutter and cleaning the blades tomorrow evening.

I could also be dealing with a bad connection from my DIY-battery adapter.

Guess I could invest in one of those proper adapters and maybe try a lower-voltage battery.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been reading up on this particular problem. It appears to be quite common with the GSN.

It won't mess with the normal operation of the camera, only with low-light long exposures (which I rarely use).

So, I'm just going to run some film through it and see if the AE is reasonably accurate.

Thanks for the help so far.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration