Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

My Canon A-1 classic old camera or not? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » My Canon A-1 classic old camera or not? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paulbg
Tinkerer
Username: Paulbg

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this camera's repair suitable for this forum? It has digital circuitry after all.

Paulbg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem: logic error from somewhere that gives the EEEE EE code on Tv. Av gives nothing except on f4 but no meter readings just a spurious reading (can be anything 3" 1 or the like) Battery check gives EEEE EE reading and no check light! (battery is fine.) This isn't the usual 'A' multi-exposure/stop-down fault. The body is undamaged and no water damage etc., in fact almost mint. I suspect mechanical sensor failure rather than the IC. Shutter/mirror fires when electromag. is tripped...it's got me this one. Poking about blindly at circuits just gets you nowhere...any thoughts anyone?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 121

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you got the repair manual? I know that I downloaded it from somewhere. It may give you more troubleshooting answers.

Paulbg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank-you Waynemel, yes I have. It is very comprehensive but doesn't describe the error handling used.ie. why it would give an EEEE EE error. It appears to be a catchall for many errors...but which? (We're into rocket science here, which is why I love my Feds, Zorkis, Fs and Spotties.)

Dgmaley
Tinkerer
Username: Dgmaley

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in fact almost mint

Could this problem be the reason the camera is in such good shape? Did it ever actually get sold? I'm with you. The CPU is fine, but suspect a cold solder connection or a microscopic break in a PC board. It would have been taken care of 30 years ago if it were a simple fix.

Paulbg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you're on the right track Dgmaley, the evidence is usually there if you look carefully. I've studied all the top circuit boards and pressure contacts on the three ribbon circuits...and all is shiny and well. Electromagnets and lower ribbon looks OK untouched. All very clean? Occasional mirror squeal (when tripped)...so not totally new. Cold solder/dirty contact sounds most likely. If it is there are bound to be many out there with the same fault, but it's probably going to need a scope to find it. Or I get lucky?

Dgmaley
Tinkerer
Username: Dgmaley

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul;
Yea, a scope or a digital logic probe. You are not going to just see this one.
I've found cameras like this one. Have a new, 30 year old K1000. It was returned to the dealer with a light leak that couldn't be found. Ended up having a bad spot on the film plane casting and a ton of dark glue to remove.
Do you have access to another A-1 with a mechical problem? Start swapping boards.
Dave..

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 123

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried this:
Error Mark Display

Six red "E"'s will appear in the finder if you push in the stop-down lever, release it and then return the aperture ring to the "A" mark before taking a picture. This situation could occur, for instance, when checking depth of field in the aperture priority mode.When the error message appears in the viewfinder, shutter button and Film-Advance Lever can be both in-operative. Depressing shutter button partway causes display to show error signal even if display is turned off. Correction is by pushing the multiple exposure lever to the left and throwing the film advance lever.

Note: To view depth of field, you take the lens off 'A' and push in the Stop-Down Lever. Then you un-lock the Stop Down Lever and return the lens to 'A'.

Paulbg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Waynemel, tried that first. The battery check showing EEEE EE and no check light, that's the odd part. Could be the osc IC, aperture sensor...or who knows.I'll keep at it and all suggestions welcome!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration