Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spotmatic Capping on 1000 speed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Spotmatic Capping on 1000 speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robbiechad
Tinkerer
Username: Robbiechad

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Pentax Spotmatic which seems to be capping on its top speed 1000 sec, all other speeds are fine, the thousand speed only exposes half the frame, anything I can do easy fix or what, any ideas most appreciated

Dgmaley
Tinkerer
Username: Dgmaley

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robbie;

Have you watched the shutter operation, with the back open and no lens? Maybe looking at a old CRT TV, or in this case, just a very bright light? I suspect that the closing shutter is moving just a hair faster than the opening shutter and catches up with it.
Dave

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 120

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check here for information:
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/servicemanuals.htm

You may be able to remedy the situation by cleaning and lubricating the curtain spindles. You can see these when you remove the bottom of the camera (and top). If you do some googling, you should be able to come up with some photos (I know i did). Basically, you can flush the spindles with a drop of lighter fluid, and re-lubricate them with a TINY drop of oil. This can often fix the problem. Do not try adjusting curtain tension unless it is absolutely necessary.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 134

Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI: Film plane distance from flange is 45.46 to 47 There were three cams A standard, B Slower 1000, 500, & 60, C Faster 1000, 500, & 60. Three Levers: A effective on 125 & 250 or erratic speeds. Curtain speeds should be 12.5 ms. SPF meter: ASA 100, EV 16, & EV 8, right of eyepiece is EV 16 trim pot, Left is the EV 8.
Erratic light meter or pegged is probably a poor ground connection. Resistor on main board is for stop down meter adj.
These are factory notes from the service department.
The Best Mike...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration