Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ikoflex 1c - release lever doesn't re... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ikoflex 1c - release lever doesn't return, needs cleaning - how? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tore_hegdahl
Tinkerer
Username: Tore_hegdahl

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought an Ikoflex 1c (beautyful camera) in little more than ok state. The most annoying thing is that the release lever moves heavy and needs to be manually lifted after each exposure. This is important because the return of the lever directs the filmtransport and framecounter to stop at the next frame. I opened the right hand side of the camera to study the mecanism - it seems the problem is sticky dirt that makes the action heavy. There are quite a few moving parts involved. I have very little experience with camera interiors but if cleaning this mecanism is not too risky, I could try my hand on it. I would be very thankful for all kinds of advice from people with experience from this camera.
All the best,
Tore Hegdahl, Bergen, Norway

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 255

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no experience with this camera, so just a general thing:

If you decide to clean things, use lighter fluid (wash-benzin), which in many places is called naphta, but is not the liquid for oil/petroleum lamps, is the solvent of hoice. Pure white gas (lighter fluid) evaporates without oily trace from e.g. glass surface and usually does not detoriate plastics. Test.

Lighter fluid is the only known popular solvent that won't damage anything in an old camera 99% of the time. Still, keep it away from plastics, especially celluloid, as much as you can.

Also, shall you proceed with any disassembly, note, that at that time parts weren't machined to tolerance, they were matched. So even if something seems to fit any which way around it often won't. Spacers may be of different thickness even if they seem identical otherwise.

Good luck!
Marek

Tore_hegdahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Marek! I will keep your advices in mind if I decide to try a serious attac on my cameras interior. Bad luck you didn't have any experience with the Ikoflex.
Tore

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll echo Marek's, if you are going to flush the mechanism with something to get the dirt out, use Naphtha/Wash-benzin/Zippo fuel/Lighter fluid/White Gas.

Coleman fuel might work in a pinch, but I'm not sure if the anti-rust additives would leave some trace behind after evaporating.

And I'll also echo the warning about cleaning celluloid with it. DON'T! (ask me how I know ;) )

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 131

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tore, for what it is worth, i cleaned the shutter release mechanism of an Ikoflex 1A. Just don't know if there is much difference with your 1C. I have a photo of the mechanism here :
Ikoflex 1A Filmtransport Side

I cleaned as earlier described with lighterfluid and lubricated very sparsely with Moebius watchoil. Also check if the large spring which you see sitting on the right side on my image and which has to push the release lever back is not hindered by obstructions.

Tore_hegdahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you! The interior looks much the same, though not completely. I am aware of the spring - a very light spring considered the heavy mecanism.
Did you pick the whole mecanism to pieces and cleaned every part? Are there any more springs in the mecanism itself that may suddenly jump out, then being impossible to fit into right place? The first obstacle seems to be how to remove the film winding knob. No visible screws. It seems your description of how you did it is somewhere on this site. I will search for it. Thanks.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 133

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tore, i would advise to not remove parts at this stage, just let some drops of lighter fluid run along the release bar and see/feel what happens.

Besides this visible spring there is also another spring inside the shutter which also gives some return force on the shutter release.

If you really want to do more then there is always the possibilty to order the Ikoflex 1B/1C/Favorit Repair CD which is available on Evilbay and which gives very detailed instructions.

Tore_hegdahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very glad to hear this, and I will certainly try it when the current film is exposed.
There is also a problem with the shutter speed dial. It moves very heavy. I noticed a thread on Ikoflex lens/shutter problems in this forum and will study it again.
Thank you so much.

Tore_hegdahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hanskerensky, I tried dripping lighterfuel into the release mecanism of my Ikoflex Ic. It now moves more smoothly and with a much more convincing sound. The release lever though, would still not return until I untightened the screw the holds the release bar in place. With this screw just half-tightened it works perfectly, though I fear the screw will untighten itself further and get lost in the camera interior, possibly ruining something. Strangely enough there is a hole in the outer metal panel for this screw. As it is, the srew is only covered by the thin leather covering, and since it is half tightened, it rises quite high, making a lump on the surface. I guess I have to live with the uncertaincy of this solution - if you don't have any more clues?

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 135

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tore,

Do you refer to the screw that holds the side panel to the body at the position of the release bar ?

That should not have any influence. The release bar has a slot which sides rests on the shoulder of a post. The top of this post (with the thread for the side screw) just sticks through that slot and so the side panel should rest against the top of this post and not against the release bar.

Maybe the side panel is bent inwards ? Do you see any rub/scratch marks on the inside of the side panel ?

If you send me a pm with your e-mail address we could exchange photos.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 230

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the time inbetween i received this camera. Some detail photos can be found in this Flickr set here :

Ikoflex 1c images

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration