Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax clip-on light meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax clip-on light meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a Pentax second-model clip-on light meter (rectangular, as opposed to the earlier cylindrical one), for the SV series, and found that the needle sticks, probably because the needle pivot has been knocked out of its bearings. Has anyone on the forum ever disassembled one of these meters? Is it possible to repair?

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 135

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

N: The wikipedia site http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanometer

Will give a good description of the basic movement, for reference.
I have not opened that particular unit, but they are all very similar inside. You should be able to open & inspect the pivots, & maybe flush with a drop of lighter fluid from a pinch in-between your tweezers. Care needs to used around the hairsprings & coil as they are easy to damage. Inspect with a eye loop for any particles sticking to the magnet. They are easy to remove with a fine needle to remove any iron particles if present. Can practice on a fridge magnet & some iron filings.
Clean the bumpers that the pointer strike against at the extreme ranges. Clean all the contacts too.
Good luck! The Best Mike...

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 68

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When working properly, these meters are surprisingly good in my experience, so it's worth persevering!
Steve

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 17

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I couldn't find anything online on repairing the Pentax clip-on meter, so I dived in. The problem turned out to be that the brass spring plate and screw that clamp the galvanometer in place had come loose, and the plate had fallen inside the galvanometer. Also, the tape with the f-stop scale came loose when I opened the meter, and reattaching and recalibrating it turned out to be the biggest job. But I finally got it done, and now the meter works perfectly.

Since there isn't anything online about how to open one of these clip-on meters or how to recalibrate it after putting it back together, I have posted my notes at https://sites.google.com/site/pentaxmeter/. If anything in it isn't clear, or if anyone wants to add useful information to it, please pass your comments along.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration