Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Strange problem with Yashica Mat 124 ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Strange problem with Yashica Mat 124 G light meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Redtrain
Tinkerer
Username: Redtrain

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all!
First of all: Thanks for this great place. I have been a silent reader for a while now and now is the moment where I can't get any further :-(

I bought a Yashica Mat 124 G from Ebay. It looks very good ans seems to work proberly. I just shot my first roll of film this weekend and will develop it tommorow :-) I used an external light meter for this purpose because the internal one seems to be broken?

I bought a new Winecell 1.35V. Opened it, waited for an hour and it doesn't work. I also measured the voltage with a voltage meter and the battery really gives me accurate 1.35 V.
When I play around with the aperture and shutterspeed knobs the yellow and red needle do show some movement. I guess this means at least the connection of those two work?!
But when I close the finder hood, put the camera in direct sunlight, open the finder hood, nothing happens :-( It doesnt react to light when I open/close the finder hood.

What shall I do? Im not quite sure where to start. Where could the problem be? I heard about corroded cables etc. Where do I find them? What could be the problem?

Im thankfull for every kind of advice
all the best
Richard

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 124

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be a bad/intermittent connection due to corrosion. The wires from the battery terminals to the meter run up the side of the camera. This means you will need to remove the leather (or peel back some of it) and remove the screws and the the focus knob. If you google a little, you should be able to find information on how to do that. There may even be a repair manual on this site - look in the Articles or Repair Manuals section. To access the meter itself is actually an easier proposition. Remove the top hood by removing the four screws. There will be a cover plate on the back of the meter housing, remove that. You will see the inner workings clearly. Check the wiring for corrosion or bad connections. Check that the needle can move freely and is not physically impeded. Also check the operation of the switch on the left hand side. If you push the switch with the hood off, does the meter come to life? If it does, then the hood is not turning the meter on when it is opened. Depending on the age of your camera, you may also have a potentiometer for adjusting the meter.
Hope this helps.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 125

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just another thought...make sure the battery contacts are very clean. Use a pencil erasor or even some fine sandpaper and clean them off.
If the needles are moving when you adjust the aperture/shutter speed, that is a mechanical connection. If needle doesn't move when subjected to light, that is probably an electrical issue.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 69

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would check the above mentioned hood operated switch first. Although its gold plated on the 124G I guess its still a potential source of problems as on my 124

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 259

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I have said in another thread about it already:
If the integrated meter doesn't work but the camera is in otherwise good cosmetic and technical condition, just leave it be. This meter isn't very accurate to start with and access to all the electric components is tricky at least.
At best you will end up with damaged leathering of the camera - it's syntetic leather imitation and after several years it's usually crumbly. Assume you will need replacement leathering.
I wouldn't touch it if the camera is otherwise OK.

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration