Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex T v Mamiya 645 Pro Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex T v Mamiya 645 Pro « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Timdenning
Tinkerer
Username: Timdenning

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As part of assessing the performance of my 'Ebay' purchase Rolleiflex Model T I'v been able to borrow a Mamiya 645 Pro with an 80 mm lens. I used same film (Kodak Portra), same exposure and same scenes with each camera. Processed by the same lab, scanned with the same settings, printed at 1200 dpi on the same printer. No doubt amore experienced eye would be able to point out the differences but printed at A5 size they both looked good to me. Any advice on what to look for welcome. It did underline the poor state of my Rollei focussing screen - any suggestion on where I might get a replacement - I'm in the UK but happy to pay overseas postage.
Thanks for a helpful forum
Tim

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1147

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What are you expecting to see? There should be no detectable difference in image quality between two medium format cameras in that class. If you were shooting at f/3.5, you might see some sharpness difference in the corners in favor of the Mamiya, but at least from 5.6 on down this should be undetectable.

I have split-image focusing screens for the T now, for $60 USD each postpaid. http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-216.html

rick

Timdenning
Tinkerer
Username: Timdenning

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank Rick - just a bit taken aback that the shabby camera from an antique centre down the road via Ebay performs as well as an apparently more sophisticated and not so old Mamiya camera - very pleased though! I'll get onto your site and look at screens - I'm already the proud owner of your CD..

Tim

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 157

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim, the old Rolleiflexes are remarkable cameras. For years, my favorite was a mx/evs model (early to mid 1950s, I believe) with the 3.5 Xenar. I've owned a couple of 2.8 Ds (both with Xenotars) and a few others as well, and they were all outstanding picture takers. Enjoy the T. Who cares if it's shabby looking -- just gives it some character. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration