Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Strange Issue with Canonet QL17 Aperture Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Strange Issue with Canonet QL17 Aperture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark2000
Tinkerer
Username: Mark2000

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just acquired a new QL17 (no G). I knew when I got it that the speeds below 30/s were sticking. What I didn't expect was that the aperture is behaving very strangely.

It works great in the shutter priority mode. When I cock the shutter the aperture springs wide open and shrinks to the proper size when the shutter is half depressed.

However in manual mode the aperture closes in a responsive manner, but it's very slow to open and sometimes won't open at all until I flip it back to S/P. If I work it hard enough it eventually becomes responsive in both directions.

I asked a camera guy in my area if he thought it was just stuck and needed cleaning, but because of the behavior in S/P he said it maybe be a deeper, spring related problem that cleaning won't fix. I'd love to hear some more opinions before I send it back.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1149

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't ever looked into it, but in manual mode there is no reason why the aperture would have to open up between shots. It needs to do so in auto mode so that it can be controlled by the meter. If you shoot manually at f/16 and then select f/4 or f/2.8 for your next shot, does the aperture open in response to your selection, or does it stay stopped down to the previous setting? If it does the latter, then it would be a problem. But if it responds correctly to the manual selector, then it's not impossible that this might be normal behavior. I'm afraid I don't have experience with the specific model to be sure.

Mark2000
Tinkerer
Username: Mark2000

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, it doesn't. If it's really stuck, the winder it start the aperture opening, but I can take several shots before it opens fully. Like I said, once I get it started the aperture will open and close very responsively by twisting the ring back and forth but stick again rather quickly when left alone. A look at a youtube vid of the camera shows it should work this way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration