Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bringing a Vivitar 285 back to life? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Bringing a Vivitar 285 back to life? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 159

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old Vivitar 285 -- one of the later ones with the black back, not the gray back. It sat in a camera bag for years -- it was my mother's and she just never used it. So when I rescued it, I found that it wouldn't work at all. I dismantled it, thinking the capacitor was probably shot, but when I applied my multimeter to the contacts (and NO there was NO JUICE left in the capacitor!!!) it behaved as a capacitor should, I guess. It was absorbing the current my meter was sending out. So this has led me to think that the capacitor is probably okay.

I have a Vivitar SB-4 A/C adapter and I've used it to bring a 283 back to life. I hooked the 283 up to it, and just let it sit. After three days of being hooked up to the SB-4, it woke up and has been working normally ever since. So far, my 285 has been hooked up to the SB-4 for more than three days, and I'm wondering if it is gonna respond at all.

Incidentally, I checked the SB-4's output voltage and was surprised to find that it puts out 226 volts DC, and enough current to give you a bit of a jolt if you happen to put a finger across both test leads. :-)

Anyway, just looking for some advice as to what I should do next.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 161

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just thought I'd add to this. So far, no joy. I've had the 285 hooked up to the SB-4 power supply for several days. At first, with the 285 on, and then with it off. It doesn't seem to want to wake up. Any ideas?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration