Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Source of composite leather Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Source of composite leather « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Calafia2003
Tinkerer
Username: Calafia2003

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
One of my customers, who, like you, restores cameras and is a member of this forum, suggested that I leave a post here to let you know that I have a supply of composite leather sheets available on ebay which are great to cover camera bodies.

I have a variety of textures and colors in several quality grades. I also have sheets of Skivertex, also available in a variety of colors and textures. These are not listed on ebay yet but are available on demand.

You can check out my listing here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110789960552?var=&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1558.l2649#ht_4188wt_1132

Feel free to contqact me if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1153

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that information! Good leather camera covering can be hard to find.

One thing that is critical for camera applications, and that I don't see mentioned in your listing, is the thickness: generally for cameras the leather must not be thicker than .02 - .03 inches (I think this corresponds to about 1.5 - 2 oz. in leather gauge). How thick is your material?

rick

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 218

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm the guy that suggested it, Rick (although I suggested the restoration section). These are sheets that are almost four times the size of the stuff cameraleather sells and they are very thin, about the thickness of a playing card (but not stiff). They don't have the stickum on the back though. I just used a piece of a sheet of dark red to cover a Bessa.

Calafia2003
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,
Thank you for the suggestion. I will add the information in my Ebay listing.

Hi Charles, thank you for answering the question for me! :-D

FYI, skivertex is about the same thickness as the composite leather.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 222

Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the Bessa I mentioned earlier: http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/#/d4iufi6

Calafia2003
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that the link to the Ebay listing had changed and was no:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110837752433?var=&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1555.l2649#ht_4106wt_1141

Thank you, Laurence

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration