Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F early non-TTL Photomic head -... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F early non-TTL Photomic head -- voltage sensitivity? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 169

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikon F with a 1st generation non-TTL Photomic head -- the one with the semaphore used to turn the meter on and off. It takes one 1.35v 625 mercury battery. I've been using 1.4v 675 hearing aid batteries in it, but it's a hassle using them. In another thread on the Canon EF, Rick Oleson mentioned to me that the EF wasn't so sensitive to voltage and that a regular 1.5v 625 alkaline could be used. I know this is also the case with a few others, like Pentax.

So I'm wondering if the old non-TTL F Photomic head might also not be so sensitive to voltage differences? I don't at this moment have a 625 alkaline cell to try it out with, otherwise I wouldn't bother with this post.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 134

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Nikon F metered finders are sensitive to battery voltage. They depend on the 1.35v constant discharge curve of the mercury cell together with the VR ring and the photocell to give accurate readings. Pentax used a "balanced bridge" type of circuit in the Spotmatics so voltage is not critical. As for the Canon EF, like most electronically controlled cameras, the battery voltage is fed to a voltage regulator and the camera uses this regulated voltage for its functions, so there is a leeway in battery voltage input...
Bill

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 279

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how the innards of the old Photomics work, but the later FTn finder was not terribly hard to recalibrate for higher voltage. It might be worthwhile either finding a repair person willing to try it, or hunting further for info on this, if you intend to use the meter regularly. For occasional use I might see how much offset of the ASA dial will put it right, and leave it at that. If it's under two stops, you probably won't have any problems just fudging the film speed.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 170

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies. That old Photomic head requires re-positioning of the ASA dial depending upon what the maximum aperture of the lens is -- so if I can refine accuracy by tweaking ASA, maybe that would be the way to go.

The old Photomic's innards are just about as basic as you can get. I had it apart once and as I recall there just wasn't much of anything inside there beyond a few resistors and capacitors.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration