Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

6x9 Folder's Broken Compound Shutter ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » 6x9 Folder's Broken Compound Shutter Cylinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alexmayer
Tinkerer
Username: Alexmayer

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a Contessa-Nettel Cocarette 6x9 folder (fig. 1), with some sort of AGC compound shutter. The shutter was operational at all speeds when I first bought it; I didn't have any way to time them but 1/100th seemed faster than ½, so that was good enough for me.

fig 1

When I popped the camera open to shoot its first roll, the pneumatic governing cylinder for the shutter's predetermined speeds fell off. In looking for repair information online I couldn't find any on a similar cylinder design. In the cylinder diagrams I've seen (fig. 2) the cylinder contains only one piston that the shutter speed selecting dial moves, governing the shutter speed. This cylinder, however, contains two separate pistons (fig. 3) moved in or out by a scissoring prong mechanism (fig. 4) that opens or closes depending on the speed selected on the dial.

fig 2
fig 3
fig 4

I slotted those two prongs back into the holes in the pistons to see if the shutter still worked, and the bulb and timer modes operated correctly, but all the predetermined speeds were fast. I'm guessing it's defaulting to the fastest 1/100th speed.

I uncapped both ends of the cylinder to check the housing and pistons for contamination, but all pieces were clean and the pistons moved freely in the opened cylinder. When the cylinder was completely reassembled and I moved the pistons with a pen tip, I also felt enough resistance from suction to feasibly give the slower speeds.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to completely open up the shutter assembly to see if any springs have hopped off posts or otherwise. I've unscrewed all the screws I have access to and removed the front and middle lens elements (fig. 5). The whole shutter assembly (and rear element) also rotates probably 50 degrees (fig. 6a and fig. 6b), but any amount of pulling doesn't free the assembly.

fig 5
fig 6a
fig 6b

Thanks for any help.

If the attachments don't work-or you'd like a closer look-the images can be accessed in this set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexrmayer/sets/72157628425003863/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration