Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Welta Welti I Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Welta Welti I « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer
Username: Michalis_dk

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I have just found a great looking Welti I with CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 and need some help.

I can see beginning fungus under the front element but since there are no indents on the black collar around the glass, I cannot see how to remove it. The whole front group can be unscrewed from the shutter but there's no obvious access to the front element from that side either.

I would appreciate any help.

regards
Michael

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 172

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I recall correctly, the black collar is threaded into a chrome ring. If there are no notches, then try a friction tool of some kind. A piece of rubber, or cut a bit from a rubber glove. Or put on the glove.

Wicking in a couple of drops of oil into the threads might help a bit.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 220

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first two lens elements are glued together. I had the same problem with a Skopar (in an Inos) and they can not be separated. Sorry.

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both for your advice.

Since the two elements are glued together and there is a metal ring around them, I wonder how it could develop fungus...maybe a Monday product.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 221

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simple. The metal ring is not airtight and the fungus eats the cement.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 189

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it fungus, or element seperation? Is it like something all around the perimeter of the lens, or just spots/tendrils? If it is all around the perimeter, it's most likely seperation, but may not affect the image quality. And small spots of fungus might not show in the image either. I'd shoot it first to see if you can live with what you get out of it. I've got a Sonnar Opton with a couple spots and some dust, but you'd never know it from the photos it takes.

PF

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, it looks like a tree branch, very thin, starting from the edge and extending nearly up to the center of the front element. Most likely fungus. I doubt whether it will affect the image quality but it is a pity anyway as the camera itself is in great shape.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!

Michael

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 196

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, that's fungus. Just don't shoot into the light. The elements can be seperated, and reglued with a UV setting glue, but you have to be able to get them back into alignment. That takes special equipment that is pprobably more expensive than replacing the lens. Maybe someone here has a lens assembly they are willing to part with if yours scatters light too much.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration