Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 60 film counter not resetting Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kiev 60 film counter not resetting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spyderman
Tinkerer
Username: Spyderman

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I'm working on my friend's Kiev 60.

The initial symptoms were frame overlap by about 1/4 of frame. First I thought it was just a question of adjusting the excentric screw as described at kievaholic.com.

Unfortunately, it seems there is a fundamental problem with the film counter not resetting. The film counter wheel is shaped so as to progressively decrease the amount of rotation of the take-up spool per advance lever wind action so that the amount of film pulled stays the same as the take-up spool diameter gets bigger with exposed film. If the film counter doesn't reset, the take-up spool rotation is constant as for the last frames of 120 film and thus causes huge overlap in the first few frames, and no overlap for the last 2 frames.

I'd like to ask you to help me find out what is missing here. I guess there must have been some kind of a screw and a spring to press one little lever against some other mechanisms to reset the counter when the back door is open.

Here are the pictures of the mechanism on this particular Kiev. In some of the pictures, there is a screwdriver pointing to the lever and pushing it. As you can see there is also a an empthy hole where I suppose the spring would be attached somehow.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 142

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spydy: Do you think the hole could of had a post that follows a groove under that cam? Just a SWAG, from what the images you posted it might be a possibility. Check the underside of that cam.

Spyderman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is possible. There is a groove under the film counter wheel / cam.
I'll have to investigate how the mechanics would work if there really was a post. I thought the groove was just to make space for the screw head holding some spring or something like that.

Anyway, I'd be very grateful if someone with a Kiev 60 could take a look in there and maybe also take a few pictures of what it should look like.

Spyderman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've taken another close look at the mechanism, but I don't seem to understand how it's supposed to work.

If there was a "post", and the couter was at frame 12 it wouldn't be pushed by anything and the counter would not reset to zero.

I've decided that it needs a spring. It doesn't solve the problem completely, but it's still an improvement. With the spring installed, the frame spacing is more than required and the camera can take only 11 frames on 120 film. Also the frame counter moves only in 1/2 frame increments.
Nevertheless it's better than 1/3 frame-width overlaps.

I'd still love to see pictures of what it should look like. It would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration