Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon QL17 GIII meter not responsive Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon QL17 GIII meter not responsive « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 177

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stumbled across a minty QL17 today at a local thrift store, and just couldn't let it sit there with a $12.50 price tag on it. Got it home and inserted a 1.4v zinc-air battery in it, keeping the fingers crossed that the meter would respond, but nope. The "Check" LED does not light up either when the little red button is depressed. So I came here and did a search on the subject and got a few hits, but every situation was different from mine.

When looking through the viewfinder, the needle is stuck all the way up at the top, just above "17". It doesn't move, regardless of where I set either the aperture or shutter speed dial. The only way I can get the needle to respond at all is when I set the camera to "A". The shutter won't fire, but when I depress the button the needle jumps slightly. I'm assuming that this is just the meter's "trap" function.

The battery contacts looked clean, but I reached in there with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and lightly scraped away at them anyway. No difference.

I downloaded the repair info here and I guess the next step is to open her up, perform a close inspection and start taking some readings with my multimeter.

If you've got any suggestions as to where would be the best place to concentrate on, I'd appreciate your input. The camera sure is clean; it would be nice to get it working right.

BTW, I also have a functioning QL17 GIII so I have a reference camera to work from if you think that might help.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 130

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the wiring from the battery. Often, the contacts can be clean, but the wires are corroded. In some cases he wires are corroded inside of their insulation and need to be replaced. This is not a complicated job, but you will have to remove the leatherette from the camera and that is a real pig of a job! It will come off in small pieces and will need to be replaced with something else. I have done it once, and hope I never have to do it again.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 188

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the QL17, you can always just shoot it in manual, using either the Sunny-16 method of exposure calculation, or a hand-held meter (better yet, one of the few shoe mount CdS meters that were made). Besides, the meter turns off when it is in manual mode. That's how you shut it down when not using the camera. And it does sound like a bad connection to the battery. Take the top off first to see if there is juice getting to the meter.

PF

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 180

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2011 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys, I'll give your suggestions a try and report back. It might be a while before I can get to this project.

Yep, the QL17 makes for a great little non-metered rangefinder camera. I often use an external meter with the one I already own, mostly just because I trust that Gossen Luna Pro F more than I do the QL17's old meter. However, I have found it to be reasonably accurate with print film.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was given a QL17 GIII just after Christmas. It has a similar problem to Cooltouch's camera where the meter only moves slightly when in Automatic-mode. The battery check lamp does light up though.

So I expect there to be a break in the CdS circuit somewhere, or the sensor itself might be broken.

So far I've managed to get the shutter and aperture working properly again in Manual mode, but I still need to install new light seals before I'll run some film through it.

Bobd
Tinkerer
Username: Bobd

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The meter only works when the camera is set to "A"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration