Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-1 light leak? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-1 light leak? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thurd
Tinkerer
Username: Thurd

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old XG-1 Minolta camera. I've taking about 3 rolls of film on it so far. each time maybe one or two pictures will come out but all the others are just black. The ones that came out were outside in the shade or some deer eating. Do you know what the cause of the rest being black could be? I've tried switching the ISO every time but nothing changes. The place I got them developed at just said it could be a lighting issue in the camera, maybe a light leak..how can I fix this problem?

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 21

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the prints are coming out black, that means the shutter is not opening, or opening for a very short period of time. What do the negatives look like? Do you see all the frames, or just a bunch of clear film with the one or two frames?

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 22

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a PDF copy of the XG-1(n) users manual here:
http://looscanons.com/manuals/minolta.html

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before you put more film in try this:
Set the shutter speed to something slow.
Open the film door.
Wind the film advance lever if not already done.
Press the shutter release button.
Look through the opening where the film would sit.

Is everything as it should be?
Shutter curtains open and close as expected?
Mirror goes up and down as it should?
Is the lens cap off? ;)

If everything looks good repeat until you find out what isn't doing its job.

In the end you're likely to discover that something needs repair, in which case unless the camera has sentimental value you would be better of buying a replacement for 10 bucks off of ebay.

Reagan
Tinkerer
Username: Reagan

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was cleaning my Minolta XG-1 yesterday and I wasn't thinking, so I lifted on the "Self Timer/Off/On/B.C." dial and it broke. Now, it turns much too easily and lifts completely away from the camera. The Battery Check Light does not light up like it did before, either. I never even got to use my camera. Can someone please tell me if I'm able to repair it?! (I've attached photos so you can see the dial.) Thanks!Photos of the broken dial.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 262

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be that it has just come loose from a previous "repair". Put a flat bladed screw driver into the fork on the rewind shaft (inside the film chamber), then remove the Phillips head screw on the top of the shaft (under the rewinder lever). The knob should then lift off.

There should be a round plastic retaining disk that screws onto the rewinder shaft, with a pressure washer underneath it. This could be cracked, or missing, and it is supposed to hold the setting dial to the top of the camera body.

From what I can see in the top right image of your montage, it looks like the retainer is there, so either it has backed off of the shaft, or is stripped. If it is just loose, then use a pin spanner to reseat it. Check that the pressure washer (under the retainer) is not missing.

PF

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 164

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the photo on the bottom right, I don't see the rewind shaft bushing. Very common for it to crack and the retainer stays with the top of the bushing. If this is the case, you will need to remove the top cover and replace it.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 263

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reagan, I just found your four other posts on this same subject. A couple of pointers for future reference.

One, you should have started a new thread, instead of piggybacking on an unrelated subject. It gives your problem more visibility than if you revive an old thread that no one is interested in anymore.

Secondly, you only needed to post it once, instead of scattershooting all over the place. Kind of keeps down on all the extranious traffic on the forum, and you won't have ten people giving the same advice someone else already has.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum, there is plenty to learn here.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration