Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

"Re-skinning" bellows Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » "Re-skinning" bellows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ddupree79
Tinkerer
Username: Ddupree79

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received my second Kodak Autographic Junior 1-A yesterday. The bellows have multiple holes--pinhole size and up. I'm thinking about re-skinning it with black-out fabric. Advice?
Thanks for your time.
Danielle

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 177

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something that's worked for me is water-soluble (black) fabric paint that I bought at Hobby Lobby.

It's kind of thick, so I thin it a bit with water, then paint it on to the inside of the bellows with one of those flattened brushes. I bent the tip of the brush about 70 degrees to make it easier to get up inside the folds.

A couple of coats saturates the inner fabric enough to stop light. At least it has worked with minor holes. For huge holes, I don't know.

Ddupree79
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 02:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to try that on the first camera, but the second one was too far gone. I "re-skinned" half of it tonight. I'll do the other half tomorrow.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 189

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something similar to the paint Scott mentioned is a product called "Plasti-Dip". I have an aerosol can of it in black color that I've used for getting rid of pinholes in an old Canon rangefinder's "rubberized" cloth shutter. I'm thinking about coating the inside of my new-to-me Agfa folder's bellows with it. To apply it to shutters or small areas, what I do is spray a bit of it onto a paper plate, and then I'll use a cheapo watercolor brush or similar to dip into it and then "paint" it onto the surface that needs coating. It dries to a flexible, rubber-like film. Good stuff.

Got any pics on how you go about "reskinning" your cameras? I don't have any cameras that need it, but the bellows in my PS-4 slide copy attachment for my Nikon PB-4 bellows are shot. THe bottom of them is missing altogether.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 229

Posted on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The traditional way of patching a bellows is to use a mix of 1 teaspoon white glue, a dab of lampblack, and one drop of liquid dish soap. Work it into the holes and let it dry for a week before you fold it up. The problem with that is that ANY kind of patch job is temporary. Bellows replacement is always the best option.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 230

Posted on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... and Kodak bellows are usually easy.

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 59

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought 4 new-old-stock kodak bellows for this model camera and have re-bellowsed two cameras in my collection. As easy as pie and much more durable than mucking around with black goop.

Ddupree79
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information. I'll post photos when I get my card reader back ... left it at work. I'll try the plasti-dip on my first camera. It's not that bad, only a few holes.

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer
Username: Kb2qqm

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't waste time with repairing your bellows. If you want to sit the camera on the shelf and be a collector item don't mess with it.

If you want new bellows then send Sandeha a message, and he will make you a new set of Bellows. SandehaLynch.com

I have a 6x9 bellows enroute from the UK right now for $72 USD. It is for an Agfa Record I, I completely rebuilt from scratch. It's going to be awesome with new bellows and a fresh shutter. The bellows are blue. He made me a set in 2 days. Sandeha is also on facebook if that's easier.

Greg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration