Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Film Advance stuck on Minolta XG-1 an... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Film Advance stuck on Minolta XG-1 and XG-M « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joernorris
Tinkerer
Username: Joernorris

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an XG-1 and an XG-M both with Film Advance issues. On one of them the lever will go half way and then stop and on the other the lever won't catch at all. Is there anyone who might know what's up?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1163

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure that these are actually film advance issues, and not dead shutters that are already cocked and won't fire?

Joernorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that you mention it, that could be the issue with xg-m. The mirror is up like it wants to shoot but won't. On the xg-1 the view finder is still open, just the lever doesn't catch. If it's not obvious I'm kinda new to these cameras and still don't know very much about how they work. I appreciate you getting back to me.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 273

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It may sound stupid to mention - but as you are inexperienced with those cameras: Have you put new batteries in them? IIRC both types need batteries to shoot.

Joernorris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No that's not stupid. I did put a new battery in the xg-1. I suppose that is something to try. I used them both a lot before any of this happened. They did get bumped around a bit, that's why I think it may be mechanical. I will certainly try that though.

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New batteries fix a lot of problems. Try your new batteries in the XG-M. Test it out and see if that doesn't make the mirror drop.

You might try just slightly pulling the mirror down on the "mirror up" camera. Sometimes the mirror pads on these old cameras turn sticky with age and need to be replaced. Pull it down just off of the pad and see if that frees it. If so a replacement pad is cheap enough.

If still no-go open the backs of the camera's and take a look at the shutter curtains. Are they fully closed? Open partially/completely? I suspect that they will be open at least partially on your "mirror up" camera. If not completely closed you might find that giving them a little nudge left or right will get them to move to the correct position. Don't nudge them with a bare finger (oil) and be gentle. If they spring into the correct position exercising the shutter a few times might get you a little more life out of them.

I'm sure they both need a CLA service, whether they are worth the dough for that though is up to you.

Reagan
Tinkerer
Username: Reagan

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was cleaning my Minolta XG-1 yesterday and I wasn't thinking, so I lifted on the "Self Timer/Off/On/B.C." dial and it broke. Now, it turns much too easily and lifts completely away from the camera. The Battery Check Light does not light up like it did before, either. I never even got to use my camera. Can someone please tell me if I'm able to repair it?! (I've attached photos so you can see the dial.) Thanks!Photos of the broken dial.

Imjc
Tinkerer
Username: Imjc

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey i bought this camera a while back, and i took some test shots, so when i took the film to get develop they came blank, i took some more and all the others also came out blank. so i'm wondering is there's something wrong with the camera of i'm i doing something wrong?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration