Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco Speedex - Liquid Electrical Tape Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ansco Speedex - Liquid Electrical Tape « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucadomi
Tinkerer
Username: Lucadomi

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to use Liquid Electrical tape to repair the bellows of an Ansco Speedex (made by Agfa). There are very few pinholes in three corners. Any experience with this product? Is it a good solution.
Furthermore, I would like to remove the top and clean the viewfinder.
Thanks.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 180

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never seen that product, but if it is thick, try thinning it with something. You want something that will be absorbed into the fabric, not just sit on top of it.

Might be hard to close the camera after that treatment. Or once it is closed, it might be hard to get the bellows to open again. Let us know how well it works.

Black fabric paint works for me.

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Scott,
I read about this product I don't know where. I guess I will give it a try. I will try two layers and let it dry. Let's see how it goes. I didn't know about fabric paint. Any other feedback is welcome.
Thanks.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 83

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have experimented with it on some really shot bellows. I used a cheap artist's brush and dabbed a thin coat over the hole on the exterior and interior of the bellows. After it had dried, I gave it a second "dabbing" just like the first. For the small holes, it seamed to work well, but for the really worn out areas it had be put on really thick and I never could eliminate all the leaks.

As soon as I dabbed it on, I cleaned the cheap artist's brush with lighter fluid. It actually cleaned up pretty well.

Oh yeah, give the bellows plenty of time to dry before closing it.

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea,
I checked with a led light from inside the bellows and luckily there seem to be very limited damage, very few pinholes. Hopefully the liquid tape will do the trick. I will let it dry overnight.
Thanks Denny.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 192

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Lucadomi,

There's another product out there that is no doubt very similar called "Plasti-Dip". It comes in different colors, but of course for our purposes black is best. I bought some in a spray can to repair light leaks in the shutter of an old Canon rangefinder camera I own. It actually goes on very thin and it took three applications before I had totally eliminated all the pinholes (there were eleven). What I did was spray a small amount onto a paper plate, and then using a medium-stiff artists paint brush, I worked it into the shutter fabric. I have just recently acquired an old Ansco folder, and while the bellows have no light leaks yet, they creak a bit when I open up the camera, so I'm thinking about using it in the future as the case arises.

Somebody at one of the repair forums -- it might have been this one -- recommended that I use the Plasti-Dip for patching up the old Canon rf shutter. So it's been used in camera repair before.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 46

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used LET to fix pinholes in bellows and shutter curtains. Applying with a brush or q-tips.

The bellows on my Kodak Vest Pocket were in a rough way, and it required several layers of LET over the course of several days to close all te holes. I don't think folding up the camera is a good idea now.

Is lighter fluid a good thinner for this material? The LET is getting a little thick in the pot ;)

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "Plasti-Dip" seems interesting. I might want to use that too if the Liquid Tape does not dry well.
Thanks Cooltouch.

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 134

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used Plasti-Dip successfully on pin holes in cloth shutter curtains. Never dilute Plasti-Dip though as it becomes translucent.

Richard

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 49

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry Lucadomi, LET dries to a dry supple rubbery coating.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 199

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the Liquid Electrical Tape on an Ansco Viking 4.5. What I found was that not only did it take multiple applications to seal the holes, this caused quite a build-up on the corners of the bellows folds. Even after letting it dry for a week, after only one day of sitting closed up, the LET pulled away from the bellows when it was opened. Haven't messed with it since.

PF

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put one layer last night and it seems to work. The pinholes were really small and they are all well closed except for one that was a little larger and will need a second layer.It does dry well, but I see that it probably would be a problem with larger holes in the bellows.
Thanks everyone for all the very useful information.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration