Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Tessar Aluminum Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss Tessar Aluminum « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Billmartins
Tinkerer
Username: Billmartins

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had this Zeiss 50mm 2.8 Tessar lens with an aluminum body which is an M42 Screwmount and used it once or twice. It has given some good images, but [won't] I can't stop-up the aperature setting ring beyond f/5.6. Does this indicate a jumped thread on the helicoid?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1166

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might have been disassembled and not gotten back together right. When you set the aperture blade cage back into the barrel, you not only have to get all of the blade pins into the slots, but you have to get each blade into the RIGHT slot. With, say, 10 blades, you have one chance in 10 of randomly getting this right if you're not looking carefully. If you get it off by one blade, then it will all work fine except that the aperture ring will stop short at one end or the other of its travel. It would be fairly easy to overlook this, if someone were cleaning it to sell and didn't use it after reassembly.

Billmartins
Tinkerer
Username: Billmartins

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick, thanks for replying to this post. I'am working this from our public library as my computer is down, hence the delay for this update. I should have initially mentioned that the lens appears to have sustained some damage as evidenced by the filter ring being bent out-of-round slightly. BTW I checked your repair CD and didn't see this lens among the ones on the disk. I'd like to get a file showing some internal views of this one before making a stab at straightening this one out.

Best

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration