Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-1 trips immediately Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-1 trips immediately « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cfsalicath
Tinkerer
Username: Cfsalicath

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, hi! I'm CF Salicath, a norwegian photographer shooting reportage and concerts. I use digital on a daily basis but have a small collection of different cameras I would love to use more. One of them is a Minolta XG-1 handed down from my grandfather which was my regular film camera for a while, until it have developed some problems recently I hoped you could help me with.

I hadn't been using the camera for a few months and when I put a film in it, it wouldn't trip the shutter. I changed the batteries and suddenly it fired at its own will, sometimes right after I had rewound the film, sometimes a minute or so later. After cleaning the battery contacts the problem became more consistend and now the shutter trips right after I have rewound the film. When I use the self-timer it starts counting down right away, and trips as normal at the end of the couting. If I turn the camera off and then rewinds the film, the camera trips when I turn it back on. The battery-check works fine.

The problems seems to be electronical, and I hope someone can help me with information on how I can fix it myself (I'm an engineer, and not afraid to fix things), or if there are shops doing this kind of repair, preferably in Europe. I know I can probably buy a working model somewhere but as this was my grandfathers camera I would love to be able to use it for my film work. I like to keep my camera busy, and not having them be bored on a shelf ;)

Thank you in advance!

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi CF, Are you sure that you have the correct type batteries? I have heard of odd things of this nature happening when the wrong style batteries are installed.

Cfsalicath
Tinkerer
Username: Cfsalicath

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used two standard LR44-batteries in it, are there any other types I can try?

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One reason that appears to be obvious is that your shutter relese switch under release burron is stuck or shorted. Alll that you may need could be cleaning the same. You will definitely have to open the top cover. Good luck.

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say you "rewound" the film do you mean that you wound the film to the next frame and are returning the wind lever to normal position? If so there's some help in the Minolta X-700 service manual. I know you have an XG-1 but they are similar enough in this case.
The manual states two possibilities which I believe would also apply to the XG-1 for the shutter firing when returning the film advance lever.
The first solution has you re-solder a couple of wires, the second has you replace the shutter dial base plate set. There is more testing and diagnosing info, it's too much to include here. I suggest you do an internet search for an XG-1 service manual and download it. It can be easily had for little money and if you want to service the camera yourself it will come in handy.

Option B is to remove the top cover and try cleaning things up as was already suggested. It's possible that will help.

You might buy another similar camera first, and learn assembly/dissasembly on it so you don't wreck your camera. You can also use it for parts.

Good luck!

Reagan
Tinkerer
Username: Reagan

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was cleaning my Minolta XG-1 yesterday and I wasn't thinking, so I lifted on the "Self Timer/Off/On/B.C." dial and it broke. Now, it turns much too easily and lifts completely away from the camera. The Battery Check Light does not light up like it did before, either. I never even got to use my camera. Can someone please tell me if I'm able to repair it?! (I've attached photos so you can see the dial.) Thanks!Photos of the broken dial.

Lzbee
Tinkerer
Username: Lzbee

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reagan - I just bought a Minolta XG-1 at a garage sale this weekend and it has the exact same problem. I am trying to remove the top part of the camera but am stuck with the right side. The shutter speed button and film advance lever are in the way.

Can anyone tell me how to remove those two buttons/levers in order to get the top cover off?

Thanks - I'd very much appreciate some feedback! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration