Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-7 : shutter and metering p... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-7 : shutter and metering problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maiku
Tinkerer
Username: Maiku

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was recently given an XG-7 that had been tucked away in a closet, untouched for almost 10 years. The shutter wouldn't fire so I replaced the CR-1/3N battery with two new AG13 batteries that I had lying around. Now it opens but doesn't close for 1-2 minutes. I've also noticed that none of the metering LEDs light up when I touch or partially press the shutter release in auto mode.

From what I've read it sounds like a capacitor needs to be replaced. I'm willing to try this, but I'm concerned about the lack of metering lights. Is this also related to the capacitor? Should two AG13 batteries work? (The red light comes on when I switch to BC mode.) Should I see the metering information if no film is loaded?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 24

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yep, sounds like a capacitor issue to me. i recall one cap in the bottom and one in the top. xg-7s are a dime a dozen on eBay. might be less frustrating to buy a functional one and sell yours as parts.

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 46

Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shutter hangs open,
No LED lights in the viewfinder:

Somebody fried IC-1 (the main computer chip) with an off-brand flash unit.

That is the usual cause of the symptoms you describe.

Maiku
Tinkerer
Username: Maiku

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies. Ouch. Doesn't sound like it's worth pursuing too far.

Any suggestions on a good manual SLR to replace it with? I originally wanted to stick with Minolta since I have a couple of lenses, but none of them are all that spectacular so I could switch. I've seen the Canon AE-1 and Olympus OMs recommended. Something cheap and reliable?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 207

Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mount for Minolta cameras is basically the same from the SR series, to the X series. Technically, you can mount an MD lens on an SR body, but may lose a feature or two. The SRT series is pretty good, and don't garner a lot of attention on the auction sites.

PF

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally I'd look for an XD series Minolta.

High build quality. Basically a Leica R4 with a different lens mount, and more reliable than the early models of the R4. More features than an XG series using the same lenses.

Good Luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration