Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

"zoom creep" Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » "zoom creep" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slick
Tinkerer
Username: Slick

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a vivitar series 1,70-210 tele photo lens that freely moves when you tilt the camera.can anyone tell me how to open the lens and what to lubricate it with, or direct me to a good schematic that will show the same.come on now fellas,i know there is a bunch of y'all that know how to do this.

thanks slick

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 46

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the inner tube just has a narrow strip of
a felt-like material glued around it to provide
friction for the outer tube. It wears down and gets
slick. Not sure how one would rejuvenate it though.
Best regards,
/clay

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 201

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A simple work-around to zoom collar creep -- or slip depending on severity -- is to use a wide rubber band, positioned partway on the collar and partway on the barrel. I've recently noticed bands similar to this being marketed as a way to prevent slippage on eBay.

No surgery necessary and it works pretty well.

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used a strip of black Dymo tape on the underside of the barrel to stiffen a one-touch zoom lens in the past; this thick plastic adhesive tape should give just enough resistance. Basically; slide one end of the tape between the focus/zoom ring and barrel (when the lens is at full zoom) and apply the tape along the barrel stopping just short of the aperture ring.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 133

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you peel back the rubber grip on the zoom collar, there should be two screws near the front end of the collar. These are tightened to increase the drag and loosened to decrease.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration