Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retinas and seals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retinas and seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 235

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Retinas use light seals? It looks like they ought to; there is a deep channel that looks like a seal strip ought to go in it, but there is no sign anything was ever there. I did find a trace of something like dried up rubber cement on the hinges, so maybe a strip of something went across the hinge end? I don't know why it would be ON the hinges though. Googling it, all I find is people making guesses.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 134

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Retina IIIC, Refex IV and Automatic. None of these have any sign of seals, even near the hinge. They don't leak light either, so I don't think they were ever required.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 211

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neither my IIIC, or Retinette 1A have seals. Could be your camera has a bent door, and the previous owner did a halfway job of fixing that. Have you shot anything in it yet?

PF

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 236

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't shot anything in it yet, and the door does not look bent. On the other hand, the whole camera looked like it was covered in something like dried chicken soup and all the leather had come off. After DAYS of cleaning, and releathering, it looks good now though, and appears to work with no problems. I was puzzled by the rubber cement on the hinge though. I've been googling (for "retina light seals") and finding a lot of posts on various forums from people who have installed light seals after theirs were found to have light leaks. Nobody seems to know for sure whether there were seals in there in the first place though. I'm going to assume that there were not. If I do get a light leak, I'll know what to do about it.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 246

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, BTW: http://fallisphoto.deviantart.com/#/d4m5ej7 It needed new leather anyway, so what the hell.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 216

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks good.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration