Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Film slips during winding Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Film slips during winding « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Baris
Tinkerer
Username: Baris

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem with my Konica Autoreflex T3 (but I know I had it also earlier with a Canon FTb).

Sometimes when winding, the film slips. I then can press the shutter and wind again to get the film further.

Is there a common solution to this? I looked into the camera and the film reel looks fine. I dont know why it slips off the transport wheel.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1169

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may be something that I've encountered before - happened to be on an Autoreflex T, but I think many cameras are similar. The plastic film sprocket is driven by the head of a small screw in the side of the metal inner shaft that runs down the center of the sprocket. This screw head engages a slot in the inner wall of the plastic sprocket, and is disengaged when you push in the rewind button from the bottom.

The plastic wears out over time, and then the shaft slips. If it's not too bad, you can insert a second screw opposite the existing one (there are 2 slots in the plastic part) to double the strength of the engagement and make sure that, if one of the 2 slots is still in pretty good shape, you're always engaging the good one.

Open the back of the camera, advance the sprocket until you see the small vertical slot just above the upper sprocket teeth... now press in the rewind button, and the screw will come up into view. Or, you will see an empty hole where a screw could go. If you see the screw head, advance another 180 degrees and you'll see the empty hole.

Either find a short screw that fits in this hole, with a head that will fit in the slot so that the inner shaft moves freely up and down as it should ... or, remove the existing screw and find a longer one that will go all the way through the shaft and engage the plastic tube at both sides.

If this is the cause of your problem, then this fix will at least buy you some more years of use. Once this has worn out both sides of the sprocket, the camera is toast.

If the above is not the cause of your problem, please disregard this message

: ) =

Baris
Tinkerer
Username: Baris

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration