Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat EM Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Mat EM « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 239

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The winder stopped working after about three shots and I need to get the side plate off to see what's wrong. I took out all the little screws holding it on and it seems that the winding crank is still holding it on. I don't see how to get that off. Anyone know how to do it?

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 84

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Been there - done that. There is a pin that holds the crank to the shaft. I used a small brad as a punch and tapped it out. In this photo, you can see the pin partially pulled out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ks_av8r/4797740265/in/photostream

By the way, I ended up completely opening the rachet up and cleaning it.

There was a thread a few years back where Marek helped me fix a similar condition.

I will search for it and post the link.

Good luck.

Here it is

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/18920.html

By the way, here is the exploded view.

http://www.oldyashica.webs.com/ym124ac5.gif

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 240

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So if I drive that pin out, the side comes right off then? Sounds easy enough. The problem I am having is that, after cocking and releasing the shutter, that crank won't budge, the opposite of your problem, where it was free-wheeling. I am hoping it has the same solution though, and that a good cleaning witll fix it.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the shutter button is pressed, it releases the winding mechanism. I think it trips the two pointed levers in front of the rachet.

You may find a good cleaning of everything will let what is supposed to release, do so. If not, there are some people on this forum that should be able to steer you to the correct fix.

If you didn't have film in the camera, wrap a few layers of masking tape around the spool where the counter drive wheel contacts it, to make sure it is fully turning. My EM is much more finicky on this than my 124.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 241

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That pin isn't coming out easily. With everything I have tried so far, the thing I have tried to tap it out with has just bent. I am going to try grinding down a pin punch (tempered steel) next.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 86

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard some are tapered and come out one way. I would guess you have tried both ways. I suspect once it moves, it will come out pretty easy. Mine tapped out with just a brad nail cut off to a flat surface. I couldn't tell if it was tapered or not. I can't believe, with my luck, I would have gotten it first try with only 50/50 odds.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 242

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I only tried it one way. I'll try it the other.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 243

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, won't go out that way either. Well, it looks like my options are to either cut the handle off or send it to Mark Hama (who will probably cut it off and replace it).

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 87

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if it would be possible to "press" it out with a small clamp. One may be able to put a small pin or ball bearing on one end and a small socket on the other and at least get it moving.

Mine came out quite easily. I don't believe I have heard of one stuck as tightly as yours.

When looking at the ends of the pin, do the ends appear to be the same size? Or does one end appear to be slightly larger? (tapered)?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 244

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This camera has obviously been worked on quite a few times. The ends of the pin actually both appear to be mushroomed. I contacted Mark Hama and he made me a special price, so he can deal with it. If I bang on this thing any more I am afraid I might break it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration