Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica ST701 meter problems - bad Cds? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Fujica ST701 meter problems - bad Cds? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 136

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The meter spikes to the top of the scale at any light level. I have adjusted the pot, with no effect.
Is this a bad Cds cell? The camera has two.
How would I test the cells? Do I need to have power to them or can I test resistance without it?
This camera is difficult to work with because the top cover must be on in order to have the batteries installed.
Could it be another problem causing the needle to spike?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1173

Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a couple of little AA battery holders - one with one battery for 1.5 volts, the other with two for 3 volts - with small alligator clips on the leads that I can clip onto the power lines in the camera. It allows you to power the camera without assembling the battery box, and also without using up the camera battery (or necessarily having a good one available).

It sounds like you have a short either in a cell or shunting across them. You might check the cells with a VOM to see if they match each other for resistance (not likely to both be bad together), and also poke around for other possible paths where full voltage might be running to the meter movement. Is there a battery check switch that might be shorted?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 137

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick.
There is no battery check on this camera.
What sort of range or resistance should I expect on the cells?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration