Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb: everything's frozen, it th... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb: everything's frozen, it thinks it needs new film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul_precure
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_precure

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was checking the self-timer before trying to sell it: worked fine the first time, tried it again and it cocked but wouldn't start timing. You can move the lever down manually with no resistance. I can't 'take a picture' (shutter release button isn't locked, no film in the camera, no empty spindle/reel on the film feed side), and film advance won't move. I finally checked the exposure number, and it's at the end ('s').

Is there a way to fool the camera into thinking I've put a new roll of film in the camera? I can't sell it like this... And, do you think something else is wrong with the camera. Everything seemed to work fine until this...

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 139

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The number on the counter has nothing to do with the shutter not firing. If you open the back, the counter should reset. 'S' is for start anyway, the beginning of a roll.
You will need to open the bottom of the camera to try to re-set the mechanism. I'm not familiar with that model, but someone else here may be able to help.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 117

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you open the back door there is a little metal tab in the canal that the top edge of the back door fits into when it is closed. When the foam light seal gets gummy it often "glues" the tab "in" so it is not able to pop back out when the back door is opened which this action resets the counter to zero. If you clean that the counter may reset to zero and it works again.

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The self-timer gears are gummed up with old lubricant and are now stuck. A few drops of lighter fluid should free everything up. Unfortunately, access is an issue. You can try taking off the self-timer lever by removing the pin face screw, and applying a few drops of lighter fluid around the shaft and hope it propagates to the right spot. If that doesn't work, you'll need to remove the leatherette to access the timer mechanism. The (S) on the film counter means "start", and always resets to this position when the film door is opened.
Disassembly tutorial for the Canon FT (at this time, does not cover the self-timer):
http://looscanons.com/tutorials/tutFT/index.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration