Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FT QL Mirror Lockup Lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » FT QL Mirror Lockup Lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wdg
Tinkerer
Username: Wdg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I'm in the process of dissassembling a Canon FT QL Camera, everything went pretty well so far however I have no idea how to remove the mirror lockup lever. Anyone that could give me some hindsight about that ?

Also, I've done pretty extensive search on the internet trying to find a service manual for that camera but couldn't find anything... Anyone know where I could find one (paper copy or digital copy, doesn't really matter).

Thanks !

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 206

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an early FTb which has the same mirror lock-up lever as your FT. The pin-faced screw in the center of the mechanism has to be removed. It's usually a good idea to use a spanner designed for this, but it's possible to remove it using snap-ring pliers. I'd cover the screw with masking tape first, though, to avoid scratches.

It's been a while since I've dug into this assembly but if it can be removed as a unit, you might want to consider doing that. You'll have to (carefully) peel back the leatherette to get to the screws that hold it in place.

I have a .pdf of an FTb/TLb service manual that I can email to you, if you want. Since the FT and FTb are so similar, there most likely won't be much of a difference. Probably most of the difference will have to do with the meter area of the two cameras. Send me a pm with your email address if you're interested.

Wdg
Tinkerer
Username: Wdg

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi and thanks for your reply !

Unfortunately the mirror lockup on the FT QL and FTb are different: on the FT QL the mirror lockup lever is on the other side of the camera (lever on the right side on this picture : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Canon_FT_QL.jpg). It's unfortunately not on the timer/aperture control lever like the FTb or F1.

I considered to not tamper with the lever but that would mean cutting the leatherette to give enough room that's why I'd rather find a way to dissassemble it !

Thanks for your offer about the service manual, I already found a FTb/TLb on the internet but the scan quality is pretty poor, hopefully yours will be better !

Thanks again for your reply !

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 207

Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the photo. That's what I get for making assumptions. I'd never noticed that lever on the FT before (never owned one either).

Perhaps an obvious question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. Is there a small grub screw somewhere on the side of your MLU lever? That would be the most obvious way to remove it. If there isn't, then it means the lever was likely pressed on, which I doubt, really.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 148

Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror up lever on the FT is held on via the back so it can not be removed without removal of the front plate assembly. There really would be no reason to remove it in any case because the leatherette can be peeled back without removing the lever.
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration