Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina Reflex III prism removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina Reflex III prism removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msteen1314
Tinkerer
Username: Msteen1314

Post Number: 41

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in the process of trying to clear out a huge amount of dust (and a bug) from a retina reflex III (041) and I've removed the top cover. I'm stuck however at removing the prism.
Looking straight on from the lens side, there are two screws to either side of the prism as well as on in the rear. The three larger ones that are accessible have been removed however it appears that the light meter needle needs to be dealt with in order to remove the prism so as to gain access to the focusing screen.

Can anyone offer some additional information as what next step would be.

Thanks

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 47

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

You MUST remove the meter before lifting the prism, else you'll break the meter needle. Set the film speed at ASA 10, shutter speed at B, aperture at f/1.9 before removing meter.

Try not to disturb the meter while it is out so you don't lose the correct positioning.

Once you have loosened the screw that holds the prism-end of the meter down. You MUST NOT attempt to cock the shutter, else the rack will jump a tooth or two.

Regards, Chris

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris.

Did what you suggested however in placing the meter down, the needle did get knocked, can you tell from the photo which way the needle is supposed to lie and if all still looks well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/msteen1314/6772803075/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/msteen1314/6772780749/in/photostream

I've also included another picture of "fuzz" that was on the top side of the prism prior to dis assembly. Any idea what this is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/msteen1314/6772823777/in/photostream

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never known exactly what that fuzz is. It has to be either a fungus-type thing or a crystal growth. I see it in many Retina Reflexes on the prism and nowhere else. It seems to be only associated with the paint or coating protecting the prism silvering.

Regards, Chris

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Chris.

With regards to the meter? does it look ok. My concern is that in this "rested" state, the needle does not seem to move in response to changing light intensities..I'm not sure if it should while out of the prism housing.
Any help would be appreciated
Martin

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, that is not right. I'll see if I can take a picture of how it should look later today.

Regards, Chris

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Chris..hopefully I haven't buggered it

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are a couple of pics...Regards, Chrismeter needle 1meter needle 2

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris, I see the problem now. The lower arm on mine seems to have been bent with the knock. At first glance it looked okay as the meter lies flat on the bench, however once I realized that the meter needle assembly has to be "dropped" into the recess at the side of the prism, the problem is obvious.

I was able to get to the dust/dirt and bug and the whole viewfinder is now clear. I was surprised at the amount different layers I had to go through just to get to the actual focusing screen.

All is well now and I'm pleased to say that with your assistance, the meter seems to be as accurate as it was prior to dis assembly.

Thanks again

Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration