Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax RTS shutter release Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Contax RTS shutter release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msteen1314
Tinkerer
Username: Msteen1314

Post Number: 47

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having problems determining the root cause of a shutter release issue. Initially I thought it was a problem with the electromagnetic shutter button however I am no longer sure having had a look at it.

Here's what I see is happening:

When the bottom plate is removed, the shutter can be tripped manually. The green solenoid, which I believe trips the shutter appears to be working okay as there is movement when the shutter release button is depressed. I'm not sure however if it is moving enough.
The shutter will trip consistently when the camera lies on its back, when moved to another angle, the problem starts and the shutter will not fire.

With the motor drive on, the shutter will fire however when moved to a different position, the shutter stops firing but you can still hear the solenoid tripping.

At other times, the shutter seems to "partially " fire and when I take my finger off the shutter release and move the camera, it will trip on its own and complete the cycle.

I'm at a loss at this point.

The above scenario suggests that there may be something loose and while there is a rattle, the noise seems to be coming from just under the Contax logo in an area which houses a long spring related, I believe to the lens operation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 61

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the right side of the mirror box (looking from the back), there is a switch. If this switch does not have proper ground contact, it may cause the fault that you observe (according to the repair manual).

To get at this switch, you would have to remove the front panel of the camera.

Dirk

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Dirbel.
As this is moving a little further out of my comfort zone, is it possible to for you to send me a link to the relevant page(s)from the manual for guidance if it is available.
Thanks for taking the time to assist me in this, much appreciated.
Martin

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 62

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For a start, I could send you the assembling chart - that would give you an idea of what's ahead.
I haven't scanned the service manual yet.

Dirk

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dirk, I've sent you a PM.

Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration