Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lynx 14e -- is wind lever lefthand th... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Lynx 14e -- is wind lever lefthand threaded? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully the title is self-explanatory. I want to clean the viewfinder (very hazy) and need to remove the screw holding the advance lever in place. I cannot budge it and am wondering whether it's a lefthand thread, though it doesn't seem to budge in either direction. I've twice broken my adjustable pin spanner trying to go counterclockwise (really nice item made by Beljan Mfg., and they fixed it both times for free!), but I'm darned if I'm going to break it again. Thanks.

Lrsnrl
Tinkerer
Username: Lrsnrl

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, February 03, 2012 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a standard right hand thread.

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 31

Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'll probably want to use a beefier tool such as this spanner wrench:
http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=225255139&sellerid=34882903
Not only will this work with pin face screws, it will also come in handy if you want to work on lenses.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 225

Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two things, Nick. One, maybe someone put some Loktite on the threads. See if there is any colored stuff that oozed out around the screw and dried. IIRC, the red is permanent, while the blue is not. Or it could be corroded. Second thing is, for the tool, you could skip all the social-media happy crap, and go directly to http://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx

PF

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info. I do wonder if it's been "Loctited," though I see no evidence of such. The rest of the camera shows no corrosion, so I doubt that's it.

I actually do have one of the heavier-duty adjustable spanner like what Loosecanon shows in that link, which I got from Micro-tools years ago -- believe it or not, it can't handle the torque and just twists without turning the screw.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration