Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RD - Shutter stuck closed ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus 35 RD - Shutter stuck closed & loose focusing ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomw
Tinkerer
Username: Tomw

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I picked up a 35RD at an estate sale for $15, the light meter works (!!) but it has two identifiable problems.

(1) The shutter was originally firing (albeit, the blades were sticky), but I fired it this morning and now it's stuck shut - the shutter release button won't even pop back up. Is this stuck shutter blades, or is is the gear assembly gummed up, too? Thoughts on how to fix it?

(2) The focusing ring is completely loose. I tightened up the four set screws and that seems to fix the problem, but either I over-tightened them or the lubricant is shot, because it's REALLY tough to focus in and out. I'm also trying to figure out how best to calibrate this.

I appreciate any help!
-Tom
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 49

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only thing that goes wrong with 35 RDs is sticky shutter blades . Search this site and others for fixing. I have repaired these in a different way from others, but with a bit of care, you'll get it right. your focus ring problem is probably because the focus is at an extremity. Loosen and re-try

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration