Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sony Cybershot DSC-H10: Capacitor not... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Sony Cybershot DSC-H10: Capacitor not charging. Flash not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chagas
Tinkerer
Username: Chagas

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I bought a brand new Sony Digital DSC-H10 camera in 2008. The Flash stopped working in 2011.
I am not a camera tech. I ordered replacement part from Sony and replaced the entire flash board after sustaining many initial high voltage shocks.
The flash did not work. Some forums suggested the capacitor could be faulty hence I ordered a new capacitor from Sony and replaced/soldered it carefully.
I gave the capacitor 2-3 days to charge up. I also touched the capacitor leads to check if the capacitor was charged (I decided to endure another shock) But no the capacitor is not charging.
The flash strobe pops up but does not flash. This tells me that 1) the capacitor is not faulty 2) The Flash board is not faulty 3) The camera battery has no problems 4) The camera works fine without the flash
Here is the issue: Something is preventing the Capacitor from charging. Maybe the circuit board or some other channel.

What could be the problem ? Is it possible to jump start the capacitor some other way internally ?

Please advise. Much appreciated.
Chagas

Michael_linn
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_linn

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi-

I own a couple of Sony digital cameras myself.

I have no idea how to repair digital cameras, just classic cameras, which is the topic of this forum. Maybe someone here can answer your question but you would likely have better luck on a digital camera forum.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 267

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[...]and replaced the entire flash board after sustaining many initial high voltage shocks.[...]

It is, unfortunately, likely, that you have (not intentionally) fried part of the circuit *controlling* (not *powering*) the flash. Simply by redirecting some of the high voltage (through your skin) to a part of circuit not made to handle it. This is a common mistake and has totalled quite a few cameras...

Otherwise, not having experience in, nor - apparently - tools for troubleshooting power electronics in a safe way you are out of luck. Sorry.

Marek

Chagas
Tinkerer
Username: Chagas

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Michael.

Thanks Mareklew - Thanks for your advise. I might try and get the main circuit board replaced. This time I wont zap myself. Have learnt my lesson.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration