Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FD 135 f2.0 repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FD 135 f2.0 repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Davidj
Tinkerer
Username: Davidj

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I have a Canon FD 135mm f2.0 lens bayonet mount, with a couple of issues, it does not focus to infinity and has some haze/fungus inside rear element, I suspect the lens may have been incorrectly reassembled at some point, the front section appears to be about 1.5mm forward of where it should be at all focus settings, can anyone on here give any advice on taking apart and reassembling this particular lens?
I have some experience of working on other FD lenses, de-clicking mainly but less experience of removing helicoids so far!

Socket
Tinkerer
Username: Socket

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Helicoids in most cases are multi-threaded. IŽd say you simply apply the trial-and-error method to find the proper mesh. Once you have it youŽd want to mark both elements so you can rethread them later like nothing. Final adjustment for infinity focus will have to be made by fixture of screws.

Do you know the Manual Focus Lens Forum?

Davidj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, I was hoping to get some advice on how to access the helicoids without disturbing anything unnecessarily, however thankfully I have been able to sort out the focus issue simply by adjusting the end stop well within its range, heaven knows why it had been set so far out, it was revealing a gap at min focus! just the rear element to sort now, which I believe should simply unscrew LOL any advice gratefully received, I'll be attacking it later today. I don't know the Manual Lens Forum,
but then I'm new to this sort of thing, I'll take a look.

Socket
Tinkerer
Username: Socket

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck, I think youŽll make it!

Davidj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I think I might have to buy the correct tool...does anyone have any clever techniques for removing the rear element other than the 'drastic measure' of buying the right tool?
The thing won't budge, theres nothing odd like a left hand thread is there?

Cris
Tinkerer
Username: Cris

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I have the same lens, and the same problem. I want to remove the rear element, but before I start I am looking for some tricks & tips as I have never dismantled a lens.

Davidj, did you succeed removing the rear element? I would appreciate it a lot if you could help me out a bit!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1035

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2012 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

Sadly we seem to be getting more and more threads that are just left dangling with neither positive nor negative outcome. Not a helpful situation really, as you have already found out.

As for your particular problem - If you are determined to take the food out of the mouths of your local repair tech's children's mouths, get yourself a copy of the official Canon repair manuals and read up before you start delving. Seriously though, this is a nice piece of glass and the purchase of the relevant repair manuals should be the first item on the agenda for the apprentice 'do it yourselfer'. The faster Canon lenses are generally of a more complex construction and removing parts in the wrong sequence can have drastic consequences, ie 100 plus minute ball bearings in your lap! Second purchase, if you do not own these already, should be a decent and proper set of tools for the job in hand.

Just remember that DIY ain't necessarily the cheapest option, especially if all that is needed is an internal clean and one has no mechanical aptitude what so ever.

Cris
Tinkerer
Username: Cris

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Glenn

Thank you for this short summary. I know it would be a a very hard job to disassemble the lens, and even more difficult to reassemble it. I like the lens a lot and as I bought already a FD to EF conversion kit for this particular lens I would like to use it on my 5DII.

And you are right, my lens requires only an internal cleaning and nothing more, and it would cost me a lot of time to clean it myself (which I don't really have).

I already found a camera shop that would clean this lens for me, but it's in the US, and as I am situated in Europe it's not possible to ship it to the US and back without paying a fortune only for the customs duty.

But maybe you know a camera shop that is located in Europe, which would do this cleaning for me? I would appreciate it a lot if you could give me a hint.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 423

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, try this index for European Camera Repair Shops http://www.acecam.com/abroad.html

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration