Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hazy Retina IIa Lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Hazy Retina IIa Lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I get at the lens elements of the Xenon? The camera works great but there's haze on the back of the front element and apparently on the surface just behind the shutter as well. I unscrewed the front of the lens (i.e. the name ring) expecting the front lens group to come out -- but only the name ring came off. I saw no holes inside the lens assembly into which I could try fitting a spanner wrench, so I'm flummoxed. (I saw a thread in the archives that indicated the whole front group would have come off, so maybe mine is a somewhat different construction.) Thanks.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Nick,

On the Retina IIa Xenon lens, first unscrew the front group from the shutter. On the back of the group there are two tiny screws. Loosen them and the chrome front ring complete with name ring unscrews from the black body of the group.

The front element will just fall out.

There is no way to the inner surfaces of the next two elements, they are cemented together and the brass mount rolled over to keep them in place.

Regards, Chris

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris, thanks very much. Your first sentence has me stumped, since I'm not sure how to unscrew the front group from the shutter -- when I went to do so, unscrewing the name ring, only the name ring came off. The front lens group stayed attached. I didn't expect that.

If I can solve that, then it does sound from your description that I'd be able to get at the rear of the front element. That's where the haze appears to be. (Likewise, setting the shutter to B should enable me to get at the front of the rear group, which also appears to be hazy.)

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 06:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went back and removed the name ring, and the front element came right off. No haze there, and none on the front of the next element either. So I guess I'll have to live with it.

Removed the rearmost element to see about the rear group. No haze on that one either, or the back of the next element. So getting at the haze will require a total teardown of the lens, which at this point is beyond my capabilities.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is it that haze and fungus always seem to concentrate on the very bits of the lens that we can't get to?

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration