Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FT Shutter Capping Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FT Shutter Capping « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm wondering whether fixing a capping shutter is something that's not too hard a job. I got a very well used but obviously badly stored FT over the weekend, and it tapers all the way down to 1/125 (!). So it's not much use in that condition. Can anyone point me to step by step instructions? Thanks.

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can start by oiling the curtain shafts and the timing gears. You also want to oil the master shaft. You'll need to oil them both top and bottom. You can check out my tutorial for removing top and bottom covers here:
http://looscanons.com/tutorials/tutFT/index2.html
If you go to the last image, the master shaft is in the center of the brass disk with the smear of black grease on it. The shaft sticking trough the bottom of the case right next to it is one of the curtain shafts. The other one is just under the brass (advance pinion) gear, at the back side of the camera. You can just guess its position and apply oil with a syringe. Since you know where they are on the bottom, you can find them at the top. Use oil sparingly.

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! Looks like a great site you have there; I am having difficulty opening the tutorial, however.

So lube is the answer? Judging from the condition of the camera it's entirely possible. I just thought lubrication was generally a no-no inside cameras, but maybe I'm thinking of leaf shutters instead.

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 35

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, shafts and timing gears sparingly. You must have Adobe Flash Player installed to view the slideshow.

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks -- that'll be a problem with the computer I normally use. Will see what I can do.

What do you recommend for lubrication?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration