Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FED 5b slow shutter speeds Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » FED 5b slow shutter speeds « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 249

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have bought an FED 5b with the slow shutter speeds not working. From what I have read, this is due to someone having having tried to change the shutter speed while it was cocked. Further, they have stated that this causes a pin inside the camera to become bent and that it can either be straightened or replaced. However, nobody says just where this pin is located. Does anyone here know where it is?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1176

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if that would be the cause of your problem or not, but I have some notes on how the Fed shutter is built and I'm fairly familiar with it. drop me a note at [email protected] if you'd like a copy of the notes.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 250

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, I have sent you an e-mail. By the way, If I set it on 1 second and trip the shutter, I can hear the gears running for what sounds like 1 second, but the shutter curtain runs right across and does not stay open for a second. I think that pin might very well be bent, because something is plainly not engaging the gears. Where is the pin? Is it, as I assume, somewhere under the top cap? Is it attached to the knob that sets the speed?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1177

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the stuff is all under the top cover. If the gears are buzzing but the second curtain is not being held back, the escapement may be out of position ... an extreme adjustment issue, possibly caused by loose screws.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 251

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

I looked at your tech notes for the FED5 and I've gotten off everything but that fourth screw, on the right front, which is not visible. On the FED 5, is it located under the glass piece on the front where the logo is? If so, how does that come off?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration