Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM 10 shutter/mirror problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » OM 10 shutter/mirror problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Angelus984
Tinkerer
Username: Angelus984

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys, I have a problem with the camera I got today.
So, If I put it in AUTO mode, and set ASA to 100, shutter and mirror will work normaly. If I rise ASA, on auto mode... mirror would come to the middle and stuck there, but if I take ASA back to 100, camera would do the process of shooting... Weird right? I don't know why is this happening, but everything over 100 ASA will do that...
And in BULB mode, everything works fine, higher ASA, shutter, mirror, all is fine...
Could it be that the problem is with the shutter magnets?

Thx,
Robert

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 37

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like dead batteries. The OM-10 has an electronic shutter.

Loosecanon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Manual here:
http://looscanons.com/manuals/olympus.html
or here:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/olympus/olympus_10fc/olympus_om10fc.htm

Angelus984
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried with the new batteries (LR and SR44 ones) and nothing... At 100 ASA, mirror goes perfectly up on AUTO mode, but when I increase ASA number, it just goes to the middle and won't move further...

Loosecanon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The half-way mirror is the classic symptom of no power for an OM SLR. The Achilles heel of the OM-10 is the on/off switch. The swipe contacts on the underside of the knob come off and the circuit can not be completed. Does the knob "click" into detents at the on/off/self positions, or does it just "slop" around? If you're lucky, and one of the plastic pins that hold the swipe contacts in place is still there, you can epoxy it back onto the knob.

Angelus984
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No the knob doesn't click, but its not going freely also... on healthy OM10, can you hear click or not?
Do you think that this can be a problem? or could it be some electronic problem with ASA dial?
thx

Loosecanon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that's your problem. There is a little "spring" arm built into the contact swipe that "clicks" into the detents. Over time, this produces enough lateral force to eventually break the two pins that the swipe mounts to. If you remove the knob, you will find the swipe contact has come off. If both plastic pins on the underside of the knob are broken, repair is almost impossible as this lateral force will easily break a glue and/or epoxy bond. You can try drilling through the knob and fixing with two very small screws. Otherwise, you'll need a new switch knob.

Angelus984
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got response from the seller of the camera, and he thinks next:

It sounds like the wiper blade inside the ASA dial is dirty and it is not making proper contacts on all the points. It is probably making contacts on certain settings only. It is not difficult or complicated to clean these wiper blades.

Loosecanon, do you know the procedure of cleaning this wipers?
I think that this could be the problem, because ASA dialer is working only on 100 and below... on higher it's not working...

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 50

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loosecanon is on the right track. The most likely cause is the ASA sweep switch/ Auto/manual switch. Remove top, -no big deal..don't lose the door compression spring.. remove/clean/reshape the sweep switch. I think you'll be OK

Angelus984
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Olympfix

Thx on your reply. You mean the whole top (silver) or only the ASA top. Because When I take ASA top, I'm blocked by some kind of metal shell that is blocking me from cleaning it.

This is how it looks when I remove ASA dialer:
http://www.pohrani.com/f/2y/mk/4amgMXok/p2192333.jpg

Loosecanon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You do not need to remove the ASA dial. Your problem is the on/off/self-timer switch under the rewind knob.

Maylane301
Tinkerer
Username: Maylane301

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I have a problem with my canon AE 1 winder knob. I was putting the film in it when the knob came off and now it's in pieces. I have all the piece's just don't know how to put it back together. It's a Canon AE 1 model ,Thanks

Angelus984
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loosecanon when you asked me about click sound, I don't hear click sound, but I can feel it sits in the place for on, off and battery check...

I'm not expert, but in my logic, on/off swich which works doesn't have anything to do with ASA 200 and above not working. or does it? hm...
But if you think that ON/OFF switch is wrong, I will try.

So I need to take off the screw from rewinding knob, get the knob out, and how do I take uff the dialer? in special position and then up or?
thx

Loosecanon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I said, shutter is electronic. If there is no power, it doesn't matter what ASA/shutter-speed you select, shutter will not function. Does the battery check function when selected? If you don't think it's the on/off/self switch, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. But checking its condition is quite easy. Stick the shaft of a screwdriver into the fork of the rewind shaft inside the camera and unscrew the knob. Remove the plastic retaining clip holding the on/off/self switch. The swipe contact is (or was) on the underside of the switch knob.

Angelus984
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I tought, swipes are perfectly fine on ON/OFF switch.

Becase, camera will turn on, ASA 100 mode will take a picture, only ASA 200+ will not do that. And also Bulb mode will work on any settingm but AUTO will not...

Loosecanon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Repair manual here:
http://members.chello.nl/pkagei/OM10/index.html

Angelus984
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thx Loose, I managed to get ASA 200 working hehe :D

You wouldn't believe how the blades are looking, they are twisted, out of order... chaos..

Do you know if there are some spare parts shop to buy new blades?

And thank you mate for all your help.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 154

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do have the film speed brush assemblies available if you still need one, please PM me.
Thanks.
Bill

Angelus984
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bracamera, you have PM

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration