Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex TLR film advance lever stuck? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex TLR film advance lever stuck? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikevernon
Tinkerer
Username: Mikevernon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently bought a Rolleiflex 3.5E which hasn't been used for some time.
Condition looks very good generally but I can't fire the shutter. I can't move the film advance crank either forwards or backwards, and I don't know whether the shutter is cocked or not. There is no film in the camera.
I've removed the front panel and unscrewed the lens so I can see the shutter leaves which look fine from both sides, but I'm a bit wary of any further dismantling. Should I be able to fire the shutter from here, and if so, how?
Any advice most welcome.

Eskimogus
Tinkerer
Username: Eskimogus

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey There Mike
I have an older Rolleiflex Automat f/3.5, and i had a huge problem with it. similar to you'res.

1) With the front panel removed (With lens) cock and fire the shutter. you should be able to there. If it doesn't fire, it needs a cleaning.

2) my winding mechanism had a broken part in which i had to repair, It blocked the main gear from winding. Open the side panel where the winder is. make sure there isn't a broken parts here, anything lose, or shards of metal. i had a small pin which stopped the winding mechanism from stopping or moving forward. i dunno if you'res would have it, but check.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 76

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It should be possible to turn the winding handle forwards at least, even if the shutter is cocked - this suggests the winding mechanism rather than the shutter is jammed. Have you tried changing shutter speed? Or with a cable release? Don't force anything of course.

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 61

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you plan on using the camera, bite the bullet and have someone like Mark Hansen go through it. It will be like new and you will be able to leave it in working order for your grandchildren

Mikevernon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies so far.
The winding handle won't turn in either direction, so presumsbly there is a problem with the mechanism. I'll have a go at removing the side panel to take a look.
Eskimogus: How do I cock the shutter with the front panel removed please? It would be nice to know that the shutter is working before I go any further, but obviously I can't cock it by the usual method of winding back the crank handle. Perhaps the jammed crank is also stopping the shutter being cocked from under the front panel?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1181

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This can be thrown off by the front panel being shifted out of position on its mounting rails - it might be blocking the movement of the winding crank linkage. Look at the lower right hand corner of the front panel and see if there may be some interference.... this may also be affected by the focus position of the panel as you attempt to wind on. If this is the problem, you can loosen the panel mounting screws, shift the panel slightly and retighten.

Mikevernon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your contribution, Rick. The problem could be something along those lines. The leather on the front panel is missing which suggests that somebody has had the lens panel off before, which is ominous.
I've taken the side panel off but can't see anything damaged. I lifted a ratchet under there which allowed me to turn back the winding crank. It turned very smoothly and reached the stop position but still wouldn't turn forwards and I still couldn't fire the shutter.
I think it's now time to seek professional help.

Mikevernon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem solved. It wasn't the winding mechanism at fault after all. The shutter release lock lever is missing from my camera, but the little spring which engages in the release button is still there underneath the frontplate, so this was preventing the button from firing the shutter. Removing the front plate and moving the spring out of the way now enables the release button to work normally, which of course now allows the film advance mechaism to work. A nice, easy fix!

It's not essential, but if anybody knows where I can get a locking lever for the shutter button, please let me know. The one for the F model looks the same but is a bit different. I'm also missing the lock lever for the flash socket.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration